Sad....I think or maybe letting off steam

MsMick111
on 1/2/12 10:10 pm - Cleveland, OH
Good morning and Happy New Year!  This post is kind of weird because I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say (I don't think I'm crazy, lol).  Today I am five weeks post op and I only lost 2 pounds this week.  This has been the smallest so far.  I am of the opinion that any loss is good BUT I think the small number is my own fault.

I can finally get my liquids in but my protein is not even worth mentioning.  I can't even smell a protein shake without wanting to throw up (unflavored included), I despise cheese and the thought of eggs gross me out (I still don't think I'm crazy).  I try and eat things like tuna and chicken salad but I get in very little.  I'm not sure if I am full or if I am still eating too fast and that causes the discomfort.

As I mentioned before, I have soooo many people waiting for me to fail that it just is NOT an option.  HEEELLLLPPPPP!

OH YEAH and one more thing, I noticed that I'm getting bat wings today.  They appeared out of nowhere.

Thanks for letting me vent.  Non-sleevers just don't get it.
Height 5' 7 1/2"  HW/PRE-OP WEIGHT:244  SW:236  CW:184 GW:162
Month 1 - 26 lbs.          Month 4 - 10 lbs.    Month 7 - ?              Month 10 - ?
Month 2 - 6 lbs.            Month 5 - ?            Month 8 - ?              Month 11 - ?
Month 3 - 9 lbs.            Month 6 - ?            Month 9 - ?              Month 12 - ?

1london
on 1/2/12 10:22 pm
You can do this!!! You just have to find protein that you do like and get it in.  Have you tried greek yogurt or cottage cheese?  The only protein shake I liked and still drink is the premiere chocolate.  I get mine at Costco.
This is such a short period of time and soon you will be able to eat a much wider variety of foods and it will be better.
You ARE NOT going to fail, you are going to succeed and the sleeve will do its part to get you there.  You are on your way to the new and fabulous you!!!  Hang in there!

PaulaS
on 1/2/12 10:25 pm - TX
You are doing great with you weight loss!
Somehow, you are going to have to figure out how to get your protein in.   May have to hold your nose and drink the shakes, LOL
What about Greek yogurt?   Very high in protein, creamy and so good to me!  
Do you hate all cheese?  Have you tried Frigo 2% String Cheese - very good.   Try dipping it in flavored mustard for a different taste.   String it out into small strings rather than taking a big bite.
Don't know if you can eat regular food yet or not, but I like string cheese with some thin sliced Oscar Meyer Deli Delights turkey or chicken.  Rollups, dipped in mustard.  

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 10:52 pm
Protein is hard.  I'm sad today for my own reasons.  If you haven't tried it yet I found some packets at Vitamin Shoppe that I like okay.  They are sweetened with stevia and there are four packet flavors of 100% whey...strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, and creamsicle.  The brand is Jay Robb.  There are sample packs online too, but at VS you can just try the ones you want for $2.49 each.  That is a lot for a single protein, but for me I would rather try something first than get a big carton and not like it.
lucy2e
on 1/2/12 10:53 pm - Laurel, MD
It will get better!

How about some ground beef/turkey with some taco seasoning.  Cook with plenty of liquid - broth is a good option since it adds protein.  Use greek yogurt like sour cream with it and add a little cheese (if you like) for flavor and more protein.  Also - go on the egg face site, she has lots of ideas that may be of help!

Don't worry about the wings - your skin goes through periods with rapid loss and will bounce back some.  I'm a firm believer that you give everything some time (and then panic...) lol

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Happy966
on 1/2/12 10:59 pm

You *have* to figure a way to get your protein in.  Have you tried the Unjury Chicken Soup?  It is salty, but nothing like a regular protein shake.  If you a 5 weeks out, you can probably be eating deli meats and tuna.  I find my weight loss really correlates to my protein intake.  The weight comes off faster if my protein is greater than 80 g a day.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

MsMick111
on 1/2/12 11:01 pm - Cleveland, OH
80 grams?  YIKES!!
Happy966
on 1/3/12 1:05 am

From everything I've been told, you should be aiming for 60 g as a minimum.  More if/when you are working out.  It's really important. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Stephanie M.
on 1/2/12 11:39 pm
Just plain milk has quite a few grams of protein. The ultra filtered stuff has 10 grams per cup. Also, you can look into protein hot chocolate. I get mine from www.mybariatricpantry.com. It has 15 grams of protein, few carbs, and has absolutely no protein taste at all. What about non fat powdered  milk? It's a good way to slip in protein and it only makes things taste creamy. Smooth ricotta cheese mixed with a bit of almond extract and splenda or truvia tastes just like cannoli filling and is high protein. Try making your own protein shakes with a bit of fruit, milk, a little greek yogurt and powdered milk. A bit high in carbs but will help you get your levels up. Have you looked at liquid and mushy recipies on theworldaccorfingtoeggface.com?

Even if you have to hold your nose and chug you need to drink your protein somehow. If your body can't get what it needs from your diet it will start to break down your muscle tissue, including your heart.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

Terry H.
on 1/2/12 11:58 pm
 A couple of suggestions.  My NUT suggested adding powdered non-fat dry milk to things instead of protein powder to up the protein content - and it's cheap.  Also, I found that mixing protein powder with sf pudding or cottage cheese also makes for a good high protein snack that tastes great.  I like orange or banana chike with the cottage cheese. 

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Most Active