Food rut...

caralikesglass
on 1/15/12 5:49 pm
 ...I'm in one. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that is currently working for you? Right now I eat a lot of carbmaster yogurts, protein shakes, cheese (I know, bad.) I'm totally cool with weird combos. Everyone has one or two. Just post whatever you are diggin' right now, even if it sounds like whack-ass pregnancy craving crazy food. I have an open mind. I am slowly getting better. I fell of the wagon and I am slowly but surely climbing back on, getting a little better each day. 
Also, just ffor the sake of disclosure, Clementine oranges are like crack to me. I think peeling them is sort of soothing. I typically eat half of one at a time and hubby eats the rest. 

Highest Weight: 317 Surgery Weight: 268 Current Weight: 179.7  

julesGA
on 1/15/12 9:02 pm - Brunswick, GA
I am so over yogurt.  I used to LOVE it pre-op and had it several times a week.  Now, I just can't even look at a container of yogurt. 

I'm gleaing my Just Bento cookbook for ideas right now.  I am going to try carrot kinpira today. 
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 1 Tbs. dark sesame oil
  • a pinch of red pepper flakes (about 1/8 tsp, or more if you want it spicier)
  • 1 Tbs. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. sesame seeds

Cut the carrots into matchstick size. (Cheat alert - you can use pre-shredded carrots meant for salad if you like, but then lessen the cooking time.)

Heat up a frying pan or wok with the sesame oil. Add the carrots and toss around until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes depending on how skinny the matchsticks are. Add the red pepper flakes and toss some more. Add soy sauce, toss toss. Add the sesame seeds near the end. This does theoretically keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, though around here it never does.

ALso going to make basalmic sesame chicken for my bento tomorrow.   I figure I can get 3-4 meals out of this recipe. 

• 4 small or 2 medium-large chicken thighs, skinned, any excess fat removed, and cut into small pieces
    • 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. soy sauce
    • 3 to 4 Tbs. sesame seeds
    • A little cooking oil

Combine the chicken pieces, vinegar and soy sauce, and stir around to help the flavors permeate the meat. Leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes.

Heat up a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, and add just a litte oil (or use a cooking spray) to coat the bottom.

Drain off the chicken, and coat with the sesame seeds. Press with your fingers so that the sesame seeds stick as much as possible. Arrange the pieces as flat as possible in the frying pan. Pan-fry for about 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat, then turn over and cook for another 4-5 minutes or so. The chicken should be cooked through, and the sesame seeds should be crispy rather than soggy. (Alternatively you can cook them in a toaster oven for 6-8 minutes at 200°C / 400°F or on ‘high’ (or equivalent setting), on aluminum foil.)  Cool before putting into your bento box.

debk21
on 1/15/12 9:11 pm - Mansfield, TX
I'm kind of in a rut too but what that does for me is take "thinking" out of the equation.  It's wonderful to just eat what I know I should and not have to think about it.  None of this is weird, but here's what I like and eat often:

Almonds (1.5 oz daily)
Artisan Fresh chicken sausages (various flavors purchased at Sam's)
Premier Protein Shakes (premade chocolate - Sam's again)
Chicken Meatballs
Shrimp ****tail
Bari Wise Peanut Butter & Jelly protein bar (YUM-my treat! and great for on the go)
Turkey Pepperoni chips w/laughing cow cheese
Sesame sticks (a little carby so I only buy these occasionally)
various veggies
various fruits

Hope this helps.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

BIGGPRETTY
on 1/15/12 11:32 pm
I was looking at the list of your foods and I would like to know where do you find the Bari Wise protein bar, and the Chicken meatballs at? This sounds really good..

BIGGPRETTY

debk21
on 1/16/12 12:13 am - Mansfield, TX
I buy the chicken meatballs at Sam's. Last time I was in there, they didn't have them but I'm going to check again or I'll have to find them somewhere else cuz I love 'em.  I believe they are made by Artisan Fresh.

I buy the Bari Wise bars online from Bariatric Choice.  They are yummy with 12 grams of protein, 170 calories and 16 gr of carbs.  It's a little high on the carb side but fine for an occasional treat or something to carry in your purse when you're on the go.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

joeswife
on 1/15/12 10:40 pm - CA
I felt like I was slipping after the holidays although I did well my mind kept telling me to eat the wrong foods. I did 2 days of Isopure and it cured me! Mind is back on track, weight loss is good, and eating according to plan. I find staying on plan and not deviating at this point is what helps me the most. Hang in there, you can do it!

sleevegirl
on 1/15/12 11:31 pm - Austin, TX
I'm in a "I hate the world" mind right now. The scale shows it, unfortunately, but here's some ideas as I try to climb out of this abyss myself...

2.6 oz tuna pouch with some True Lemon sprinkled on it
2.6 oz tuna pouch with Goya Salsa Verde on it
96/4 ground beef patties (with fresh jalepenos, shred cheddar, A1)
Low Carb Breakfast Balls www.food.com/98774 (with marinara sometimes too)
Poached egg with hot sauce
Homemade chicken salad (our big recipe is 4 lb breast, 1 cup mayo, 1/2 cup mustard, 1/4 cup sweet relish)
Pizza with leftovers and flax flat out or carb balance tortilla (usually half is plenty)
Homemade beef jerky
Homemade kale chips
Homemade dehydrated mushrooms dipped in greek yogurt with ranch dip mix stirred in
Chicken fajita strips

Note: Hubby makes the fajita strips and burgers in bulk and I individually freeze them and store them in the freezer for quick "grab" stuff. When I'm doing good. I'm not right now. I'm kind of in a bad place.

Thanks for posting this, I'll be looking too as I try to get my butt in gear.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

rhearob
on 1/15/12 11:38 pm - TN
 I make a sweet Italian chicken breast sausage that Is really good.  Grind up 1.5 lbs of skinless boneless breast, add salt and pepper, 3 cloves of garlic, 3 tsp chopped parsley, 1.5 tsp of fennel sead, and tsp of sage.  

It makes about 8 3 oz patties with 107 calories, 19 g of protein and 3g of carbs.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

HopefulInHoboken
on 1/16/12 12:38 am - NJ
How do you make Kale Chips?

Thx
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views