Labs back today, CHOLESTEROL went up!

Carlen T.
on 1/19/12 4:59 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Before my VSG, I worked for about 1 year and did really well with my cholesterol, and was about at 180. Today, I got my test results and I was at 260! I just don't understand this. I am totally upset and really not liking the idea of having to go on medication. Has anyone else experienced this after having surgery?

Carlen T        

ruggie
on 1/19/12 5:03 am - Sacramento, CA
Have you recently increased your consumption of animal fats where cholesterol is found?

- Egg yolks
- Fatty meats
- nonfat diary products (milk, yogurt, cheese, etc)
- Lard (I know, a weird one, but maybe you're eating tons of refried beans?)

Just curious.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

infodiva808
on 1/19/12 5:14 am
I posted this before:

Actually it just might be the effect of losing weight and it is temporary. I experienced the same thing. After, I did increase my use of "good and heart healthy fats" like flax and a few walnuts and it brought  my good cholesterol up and improved the ratio. I think there was an article posted on here to that effect about 8 months ago. 
Found it! http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_n6_v10/ai_109 78163/

doggz109
on 1/19/12 5:18 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Before you consider ANY type of statin.....make sure your doctor find out what kind of cholesterol you have.  There are two types of LDL.......only the small dense type is bad for you. 
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/19/12 5:22 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Doggz, do u know the name of the test which determines which LDL one has?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

doggz109
on 1/19/12 5:24 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
It's called a particle size test.......they go by different names though.  The one my hospital uses is called a VAP test.
Ms. Poker Face
on 1/19/12 7:56 am
 Keep in mind that cholesterol is driven by a lot of factors.  Diet and exercise is only a portion of it.  There are also genetic factors.  Definitely something to go over with your doc.

Some other posters have also mentioned some of the foods on our VSG diets that can drive up cholesterol.  You might have to adjust your intake a little.

I feel very lucky.  My cholesterol has gone way down since surgery.  Total, tryglicerides, etc.  However, I still have high blood pressure, although it's improved a lot.  I have genetic factors that affect it for me.

Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 8:18 am
Mine went up too and my goods went down. Not so good. I'm not freaking out and my surgeon didn't either. Said it's too early to call anything a problem.

Also my liver showed some stress.

Losing a lot of weight fast puts a huge strain on the body and it makes sense to me that the result may be that some things go haywire.

Also prior to my pre diet and VSG, I ate a lot of sugar and very little fat, now I'm eating almost no sugar and more fat than I used to and I imagine my body isn't sure how to handle all that.

I def eat more low fat dairy and beef than I used to. I just make sure it's beef I got at the store and NOT fast food, nor fried foods.

My second set of labs were drawn Tuesday, I'm curious to see where I am 6 months out. I figure until I stabilize my weight, any labs are suspect.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views