Surgery in Mexico

MsMick111
on 1/25/12 2:50 am - Cleveland, OH
Hi all,

I have a friend that is very interested in the VSG (and eligible), however, he no longer has medical insurance.  He is willing to self pay if he of course can afford it.  Can anyone tell me about their experiences in Mexico.  I hear two names a lot but don't really know much about how it works to have surgery in another country.  What are the costs like?  Do they include airfare and hotel stay?

Thanks for any help and/or info.
Height 5' 7 1/2"  HW/PRE-OP WEIGHT:244  SW:236  CW:184 GW:162
Month 1 - 26 lbs.          Month 4 - 10 lbs.    Month 7 - ?              Month 10 - ?
Month 2 - 6 lbs.            Month 5 - ?            Month 8 - ?              Month 11 - ?
Month 3 - 9 lbs.            Month 6 - ?            Month 9 - ?              Month 12 - ?

Alice71
on 1/25/12 3:06 am - Canada
VSG on 01/09/12
I was a self pay in Mexico was no problem flew to San Diego driver was waiting for us. He drove us to the hotel that Sunday and Monday morning got picked up at hotel . They did a bunch of tests and by 11 I was in surgery went fast/ smooth no issues at all. Cost me 7000. Only thing extra is airfare I used dr Ortiz as I seen him on oprah and then a friend went to him. Good luck
No More Spanx
on 1/25/12 3:20 am - Rock Island, IL
I went to Dr. Alvarez and had a fantastic experience and great success with my sleeve.  As a single mom, I went alone but voiced my concerns to his patient coordinator Susan.  Within a week she had found a gal in another part of the country also going to Dr. A and coordinated our surgeries together.  I had a great time, made a new friend, and loved my trip to Mexico.  I NEVER felt scared and did not experience any pain or nausea that alarmed me.  I spent $10,000 whi*****luded the surgery, airfare, dog boarding and childcare for 4 days (Dr. A's fee at the time was $8,900).

My second choice was Dr. Aceves who has many successful patients on this and other forums.

Good luck on your research!

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

Zedsmummy
on 1/25/12 5:01 am - Canada
I had a positive experience with Dr. Kelly in Tijuana. Feel free to message me privately if you want to know more.

Sleeved by Dr. Kelly, Tijuana BC Mexico, Decemeber 7th 2011.

goingforit1
on 1/25/12 5:23 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I haven't had it done yet but plan to shortly. The cost does not include airfare to get to the border town but it does include everything else including hospital stay, surgery, hotel, transportation from hotel to hospital and back. The hotel provides the transportation to the airport I believe. Mine is around 8,700 and the local surgeon in my town charges about $16,000 cash price. I figured even with airfare I am saving a ton of money and I have heard nothing but glowing reports for Dr Alvarez (who I am using.) You contact endobariatrics and they put you in touch with Susan who explains how everything works. You can do all of it through email if you like, they have a "chat" button on their site as well. It's been smooth and explained well so I am not as fearful of going over the border as I was. If I had already had my passport I could have been down there in two weeks from the time of contact but I had to get them ordered and on their way to me first.

Good luck!
Margo N.
on 1/25/12 6:49 am
I had a fantastic experience in Mexico with Dr Aceves. I recommended him to two others who live in my area and they also were very pleased, I believe his price right now is 8750, whi*****ludes everything other than the flight. My blog has details of my experience www.vsggoodlife.com

If your friend wants to bring a companion, he/she will be able to stay in the hospital room on a couch, or could make arrangements to stay in the hotel where you stay the evening before surgery (This would be an extra cost, but probably more comfortable - my Dad came with me and he opted to do that, and just went back and forth to the hospital either with Dr Aceves' driver, or via a $5.00 cab ride.)
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

ND2BTHN
on 1/25/12 8:31 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I just came back from Mexicali, Mexico with Dr. Aceves as well. His price is in fact $8,750 American for the sleeve. It includes the hotel for the first night, all medical testing, (whi*****ludes a blood test, EKG, urine test, and chest xray) driver pick up and drop off at the airport and transport between hotel and hospital, hospital stay (3 days), a box of your take home meds, surgery, and copies of all test reports for your pcp. You must pay for the airfare, your last dinner at the hotel, and extra meds needed, because it is usually cheaper to buy in Mexico, and of course tips, for the hotel staff, and the driver.

The hospital is 5 minutes across the Mexicali border, and is a safe border crossing. 

My experience was exactly as I was told it would be. Everything was planned for you, and you were never left alone at any point. I went alone, and never felt worried, since there will be other people with me, also being picked up at the airport. I walked with another patient to the pharmacy across the street, as a buddy system, but was comfortable walking around the hospital alone. 

The staff and surgeons all speak fluent English, and they provide you with a spanish phrase sheet for the night nurses who speak little English. My experience was smooth and great. Dr. Aceves was very friendly and I have nothing negative to say about my experience. I would recommend him to anyone who wishes to visit Mexico.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
walmartian
on 1/25/12 12:43 pm, edited 1/25/12 12:44 pm
I am
100% satisfied with Dr Kelly and staff--wonderful, and $5300 covered everything  except airfare. Meaning, driver from an Diego, surgery, hospital, etc pls a real full sized bed for my traveling compaion plud they could eat free, and the 2 hotel days after the surgery, all testing, etyc wetre coverted. NO problems in any department!

MsMick111
on 1/25/12 8:00 pm - Cleveland, OH
Thanks everyone for the info!
Height 5' 7 1/2"  HW/PRE-OP WEIGHT:244  SW:236  CW:184 GW:162
Month 1 - 26 lbs.          Month 4 - 10 lbs.    Month 7 - ?              Month 10 - ?
Month 2 - 6 lbs.            Month 5 - ?            Month 8 - ?              Month 11 - ?
Month 3 - 9 lbs.            Month 6 - ?            Month 9 - ?              Month 12 - ?

Most Active