OH I need help !!

Phyllis M.
on 2/15/12 3:56 am - Irving, TX
I am a RNY patient............but my daughter is scheduled for her Sleeve surgery on 3-27-12. 

I am withstupid on EVERYTHING abou the sleeve -   she has an awesome doc and like most will say:  'FOLLOW Y OUR DOCS ORDERS"  which we will to a "T"

but I wanna be "armed" to assist her as needed during her first few weeks.

I am 4 yrs out and I want her to do better than me............I have been very successful when I let the tool work !!  lol    So I arming her with things that I didn't know about and didn't know about OH until I was like 2 months out !!           NO major complications here after surgery except for major dehydration and 2nd surgery 10 days post-op -  NON WLS RELATED !!  lol  

Anyway -  what is the diet like  AFTER the recovery time.   Rules of the sleeve patient - like I know what the rules are for the RNY patients, no straws for a while,  no eating/drinking at the same time.........vitamins,  no iron w/ certain vits...etc..............anyway...

Can you all enlighten me?    I know that getting her fluids in and protein in will be the first concern and then will be according to her docs requirements as well !!  

Thanks !! 
Phyllis              you all can PM me too if you want too..  I might see that faster than response to this posting !!  lol 
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

Elaine2
on 2/15/12 4:03 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm sure you'll get allot of responses to help you out.
Just wanted to take a quick minute to give you this.

Lots of great info here.

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com

Mom4Jazz
on 2/15/12 4:04 am
Those rules you listed all apply to us. Another I would add is protein foods first. Even on mushies, etc. have her get in the habit of focusing on protein foods. That and hydration are the key!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Beth S.
on 2/15/12 4:06 am - VA
VSG on 02/22/12
My doc has all his RNY and sleeve patients follow the same plan, just a few less vitamins. I start off on pre-op clear liquid diet, then have the surgery on 2/22, clear liquids for a week, then full liquids, then pureed, then soft foods, then normal foods at 4 months out.  All the rules are pretty much the same.

Hope that helps!

carrierae
on 2/15/12 4:44 am - WA
Here is a link to my dr's program. I have seen it referenced here on this site by people nationwide for a guide. I can tell you he rocks...and I am very happy with my success so far.

http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/diet.html

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

SouthernmostStar
on 2/15/12 5:00 am
VSG on 01/25/12
Each doctor has his/her own schedule for each post-op transition period but it seems like most agree the transition goes from clear liquids to full liquids to pureed to soft/mushy to introducing solids.  Your daughter's doctor will provide the info on how much time for each stage.

I was also told no straws because they introduce too much air into the stomach.  I was also cautioned not to drink carbonated drinks (sodas, etc.)

Big surprise for me was no NSAIDs post-surgery (Motrin, Aleve, and so on).  If I have a headache or something that I would normally have taken a Motrin for, I now must do Tylenol.  (Get liquid Tylenol for the first week post-op, that way if she's sore but not enough for the harder drug prescription, she can take the Tylenol.)

It was also suggested to me to do chewable vitamins.  I bought adult gummy multi-vitamins, chewy calcium + vitamin D, and the sub-lingual B12.

I started experiencing more heartburn but Pepcid fixes that right up.  If I take it before my morning protein shake it seems to prevent heartburn and queesiness.

That's all that I can think of right now.

Good luck!
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

frannypance
on 2/15/12 5:20 am
I had the sleeve and my husband had the RNY 3 months before me.  Our doctor uses the same protocol for both.  I find that he can eat 3 times what I can.  I have great restriction which helps control my eating or urge to overeat.  I can't even if I try.  Good luck to your daughter.  I am sure she will be successful.

Ms. Poker Face
on 2/15/12 6:39 am
I'm not sure why the "no NSAIDS post-op" restriction?  I mean, maybe for the first few weeks post op (6 weeks maybe) but beyond that, part of the beauty of the sleeve is that we get to take NSAIDS in the future, unlike RNY.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Vrtualfire
on 2/15/12 6:58 am - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
Actually, my doctor also says no NSAIDS as they irritate your stomach. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views