Supplement advice needed

InnerMe
on 2/18/12 9:00 am
I am hoping to have my VSG done in about 4-6 weeks. I have one more appointment at the surgeons office and then I wait for insurance approval. While I wait, I have been doing some shopping for a multivitamin, B12 sublingual, calcium citrate, B1 and D3. There are so many places, brands and flavors to choose from, plus I understand some peoples tastes change after surgery. If anyone would be so kind as to let me know where they like to purchase these supplements or if there are any that taste so terrible that I might want to avoid them. I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Heather
pedirn06
on 2/18/12 9:17 am
VSG on 01/26/12
I take MVI gummies and calcet chewables that I purchased from Wal-Mart or SAMS.  The iron I purchased from Bariatric Advantage and they taste HORRIBLE.  lol  They are chewable but I cannot stand the taste so I swallow them whole.  For B12 I use Nascobal once a week.  I know Celebrate Vitamins will send you a sample pack of vitamins free.  I did try them but they are somewhat large and chalky compared to the gummies. 
pedirn06

InnerMe
on 2/18/12 10:09 am
Ohh, gummies! I hadn't even thought of those and I hadn't run across Nascobal yet. I'll check out the Celebrate sample for sure. Thanks!
Cindy22706
on 2/18/12 9:34 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I take Nutrametrix. Its all isotonic, meaning it is directly absorbed right when you drink it. All I do is mix my multivitamin (1 capful of powder) with my calcium (3 capfuls of powder) with water in the AM and drink 8 oz of water with it and I am done. It is pricey but its worth it because I dont have time do worry about tons of vitamins and supplements. I also take one b12 quick melt from celebrate that is cherry flavored and I love it. If you have questions let me know.

www.yourvitaminsource.com

InnerMe
on 2/18/12 10:16 am
Thanks for the info and the link! It helps so much to hear what's working for others.
Jeanne T.
on 2/18/12 9:42 am
Hi,
I take O'Purity, it's one chewable with everything I need. It tastes like a sweet tart but do able.  Then I have 3 chewable calcium from GNC.  I get my blood levels drawn next week to see how I'm doing but I feel wonderful.

Good Luck to you,
Jeanne

InnerMe
on 2/18/12 10:20 am
That sounds good. I'm all for keeping it simple! Thank you for the help! It looks like you are doing wonderful, congrats!
BiscuitNYC
on 2/18/12 9:54 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
I do a Centrum Silver chewable multi because I don't like swallowing bigger pills.
I do a chewable calcium citrate + D .  Caltrate makes a berry flavored chewable.  A little chalky, but they all are.
I also do a Viactiv (or generic equivalent) chocolate flavored chew, and that's more like a Tootsie Roll, but good for you.
I do a B Complex tab, but they all smell/taste like ass.  I suppose a liquid might be better,  but it's more money.
I do a sublingual B12 that's cherry flavored -- it's not marked that way, but I believe the whole idea with the sublinguals is to let it dissolve in your mouth, so they have to be somewhat plesant tasting.
I also do biotin, inositol and gelatin (to ward off hair loss) and they are all in tasteless gelatin capsules.
InnerMe
on 2/18/12 10:30 am
I'm thinking I'll be trying to ward off hair loss from day one. That is one thing I am pretty nervous about. I was thinking B12 sublingual, I'm glad to know they aren't too bad to tolerate while they dissolve. I was wondering what the difference is between something like Centrum and a vitamin with the bariatric label is. I wonder if it is just the % of recommended daily allowance or if there is a difference is the absorbtion. If there is an absorbtion difference, does it matter to us since we don't have a malabsorbtive surgery? So many questions.  Thanks for your help!
BiscuitNYC
on 2/19/12 12:05 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
 I have only done a few comparisons between multis like a Centrum and bariatrics.  What I found (and I don't remember the brands) but that the bariatric ones suggested that you take two or three a day, and their values reflected those serving amounts.  If you took two or three Centrums, you'd get much of the same values.  At which point then you'd have to compare prices.  Additionally, I believe that the Centrum contained more minerals (and again, that would depend on the brand, I'm sure).  

Also, there are some vitamins that are water soluable, so your body is going to take wha tit needs and pee the rest out, so megadosing on some vitamins can literally mean flushing your money down the toilet.
Most Active