Sharing a Meal in a Restaurant?

Freddy_Fender
on 3/5/12 9:23 am - Elginburg, Canada
Anyone here ever go to a restaurant with their signifigant other and ask to share a meal?
I was discussing it with my wife tonight, and there's no way I'll come even close to eating a meal from a restaurant, so I suggested when the time comes, we just ask for one meal and 2 plates.

I know some establishments will charge a 'sharing fee' or whatever, but big deal, most places dont anyway.

My city has lots of retirees living here, so it's fairly common for 2 people to share a meal.

Any of you done it? Did you get any weird looks or anything?
Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
moonglo82
on 3/5/12 9:25 am
VSG on 03/29/12
My husband and I shared a meal at Red Lobster over the weekend, and got no wierd looks at all. We don't do this very often, but we were trying to save money, and it worked

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Freddy_Fender
on 3/5/12 9:30 am - Elginburg, Canada
To be quite honest, the meal sizes in restaurants have gone out of control, it's no wonder there's an obesity epidemic.

Ever since my sleeve, man, I really have a different perspective on food, and when I realize how little we actually need to survive, I can honestly say I had a sickness/addiction at the massive amounts of food I used to shovel into my face.

I think the average meal served in a restaurant is plenty of food for 2 adults who wernt even sleeved.
Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
USAF Wife
on 3/5/12 9:32 am
I've done it for over 2 years now. Zero weird looks, no questions asked.

One thing I've learned throughout this process is; "When we do not make a big deal out of it, everyone else will follow suit."

I share with friends, my son and my husband. The one thing I do when I don't want to share is I'll order whatever I want, and bring home leftovers. If you get a to-go when you get your food, put the food you won't eat in the box, and take the leftovers home for 2-3 more meals. I also order a la carte proteins like 1 chicken breast, or 1-6oz steak, or one filet of fi****'s less expensive and no one asks me why I'm ordering smaller portions.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

califsleevin
on 3/5/12 9:37 am - CA
My wife is several years out on a DS and is always disappointed if she can't get three meals out of a restaurant meal! I've picked up the same attitude since my VSG. I may get the soup that goes with it if soup/salad is included in the meal, and have the soup packed to go and mooch a few bites of her salad. Sometimes we will get the larger cut of meat in a steak place so that there's more to take home (if the $$ make sense to do so.) But sharing makes sense, too, and sure beats ordering two dinners and having the S.O. have a meal and a half - that's how spouses gain weight after WLS for the other!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

maxie1
on 3/5/12 9:38 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
i just order and then ask for a container right off the bat.. i portion off what i want to eat and take the rest home for lunch the next day... 2-3 small meals for the price of 1.   works out well..
susan                                                                                                
hhawho
on 3/5/12 9:42 am - Mansfield, TX
VSG on 01/30/12
My surgeon gave me a card that asks restaurants to serve me a kids size meal due to surgery.  So far it has worked great...and I still bring home a "doggy bag".
MochaGal
on 3/5/12 10:40 am
I've never had any problem asking for the kid's meal or senior's meal due to the surgery, except so far at two restaurants where they had to "verify with their managers".  Can I say the restaurants' names or will I be censored?  Anyway, I was kinda surprised even after I showed them my card.  But I do like when I share the meal if I can work it out that way.  Ordering a regular meal gives me waaaay to many leftovers now.  ha  (Isn't that a funny problem?)
Mary Lou
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"~Phil 4:13        
joannalee
on 3/5/12 9:50 am - Victoria, TX
Usually just share a meal . No weird looks. Everyone else orders what they want I get an empty plate and have a little bite of everyone's protein!!!!!!

kimberleyann
on 3/5/12 9:53 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
I have shared with hubby quite a bit.  He will order a 3 peice fish and chip, and I will eat one of the pieces of fish and let him have the rest.  Haven`t had a problem yet.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views