My Sleeve Experience

InnerMe
on 3/17/12 4:54 pm
Well, I'm home from the hospital. What a crazy couple of days.

Right after I left home yesterday a nurse from the hospital called me to see if I could arrive any earlier then my scheduled time because the surgeon was running ahead of schedule. That was awesome because as soon as I got there they quickly got me ready for the OR and away we went. It happened so fast, I didn't have time to get too nervous. I remember only a flash of going into the OR and moving over to the table, then nothing until the recovery room. In the recovery room I remember hearing the nurse next to my bed giving report to my nurse on the floor over the phone. I must have been awake and talking because she kept telling the other nurse that I was very very nice. I wonder what I was saying to make her stress that so much? The next thing I remember was two young men pushing my bed to my room on the floor. I kept my eyes closed most of the time, but when I would open them they were both smiling. I really wish I could remember what I was saying, I was really pretty out of it.

When I did really wake up, I felt awful. The nausea was unbelievable! There wasn't much actual pain, just soreness. In the recovery room I was getting morphine though my IV, I also have an On Q pain pump, it is a ball of lidocaine that has small catheters going to my incisions so those areas are numb. There is only enough lidocaine in it to last until tomorrow so we'll see if I'm feeling so hot then. The nurse gave me some meds for the nausea that didn't even touch it and I know I got crabby with her because when I asked her if there was anything else that could be done she said that there was but she would have to call the doctor for that. I said get on it, call him up, I don't care of he's back in the OR, call the circulating nurse and ask her to ask him but do it now! I felt kind of bad about that but I had never been so miserable in my life as I was from that nausea! She called him and got orders for another med and to give me the original med more frequently until it resolved, which took about 7 hours from the time the surgery was over. When it was gone it was like someone flipped a switch and I was in much better shape. I was able to go to the restroom and walk the halls no problem. I sipped some water and some chicken broth, they both stayed down and felt fine. In the evening I went from getting the morphine to lortab (liquid vicodin) I felt a lot better after that because I didn't have to fight the medicine to think clearly. The night passed uneventfully and this morning the surgeon came in and gave me some vitamins through the IV and let me go home after that. I was feeling well enough to stop at the grocery store on the way home to get my prescription filled and while I was waiting I walked the aisles. I do think the walking helps you feel a lot better. I weighed myself when I got home to see if all of the IV fluids made a difference and I gained 10 pounds in 1 day! I know it's water and it will be gone soon but for it to be that much was a surprise.

I am still taking the painkillers and it's pretty late so please forgive me for rambling. I read so many others accounts of their surgical experiences with great interest as a pre-op so I hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks,
Heather
gabriellaz
on 3/17/12 5:06 pm - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Yay! Congrats on your new sleeve. Hope and pray you have a speedy recovery.

fireman441
on 3/17/12 7:55 pm - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 thats super .thanks keep posting i get mine in 1 week ..thanks

kahlana
on 3/17/12 9:32 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Welcome home and welcome to the losers bench! Sounds like you are doing great! i remember weighing myself the day I got home too and the shock of seeing 228 on the scale when I weighed 214 when I went in. LOL 3 days later I was down the extra weight and a couple of more pounds. I remember being really shocked at losing so much weight so fast lol. Anyway, keep us posted.

My Blog My Facebook

mama2girls
on 3/17/12 9:48 pm
Sounds like you're doing great I had bad nausea too and yes it sucked but got through it. Good luck!

HW:409  SW:328 CW:185-190 GW: 190, lowest wt:165;

GS Surgery date 8/9/11

Body by Sauceda born 12/9/16

"I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself"

bbearsmama
on 3/17/12 9:59 pm
RNY on 02/28/13
So glad you're home and doing better!

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

abrown8434
on 3/17/12 10:53 pm - VA

I thank God that you came through okay and that you are feeling like moving around. It gets better day by day. Best of luck to you!

P.S: Yes, the IV fluids definitely can cause a 10 lb weight gain. I recently had to go to the doctor/clinic for a virus and they gave me IV fluids. I could have cried when I saw my weight go up an add'l 10+ lbs!!!! Then I remembered what happened after VSG and realized what caused it. Fortunately, 3 days later, it went back down!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Phatchick
on 3/17/12 11:08 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
I am so glad to hear you are home and well. Save a place on the losers bench for me. Blessings, Sharon

firefly2000
on 3/17/12 11:14 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
 Heather,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! My surgery is Tuesday, and like you, I like to read about peoples surgical stories. It sounds like most of your nausea was caused by the pain meds? I do not react well to pain meds at all! I already spoke with my surgeon and he is going to let the anesthesiologist know to put anti-nausea meds in my IV. Also, instead of sending me home with percocet, they gave me a script for Tylenol with codine. Well, only time will tell, what will be, will be!

Congrats on your surgery, and I am looking forward to joining you on the loosers bench!!
Lesley
Jen Starr
on 3/18/12 12:15 am - NJ
 Glad you're feeling ok : )  I had mine done 6 days ago and had the same 10 pound weight gain in the hospital.  I had a meltdown and cried to the nurse, LOL  I totally was not expecting it to go UP and didn't realize at first that it was the IV fluid.  I haven't weighed myself at home yet...my husband won't let me after that meltdown just in case it's still high.  probably a good idea, it would be very frustrating to still be up after a week of eating nothing but broth

Lesley, I see you are in NJ.  are you having your surgery at Hackensack by chance?

jen

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views