any advice? about 7 1/2 months out.. not really losing. (sorry, kinda long)

Ashley O.
on 4/2/12 12:21 pm

I had surgery back in august.. and i had the easiest recovery ever.. i was swimming 2 weeks after surgery.. no food intolerances (other than a few protein shakes, and eggs originally.. but i can deal with them now) i havent thrown up once. Although, i named my sleeve 'chewbacca' while in the hospital.. the name has stuck.. it makes chewbacca noises whenever i'm getting close to full... but i just make a joke about it and carry on with my life.

(i did have one stall that lasted 6 weeks... and it started 10 days post op.. i lost nothing for 6 solid weeks.... which kinda sucked.. but i was told it was normal)

I had some skin removed on the inside of my upper thigh les than a month after wls, it was a pretty big chunk.. because it was pre-cancerous. and it hurt to even walk because my thys would rub together.. the lasted a few weeks... and i got back to wakling and swiming some, then weather got coler and it was just walking.. i probably wasn't doing as much exersize as i shouldve been. but i've changed that around teh past couple months.

this is what i've been up to:
my suregons office never gave me real guidelines for food.. aside from the stages like, full liquids, soft/mushy food, etc.... and 60+gm protein and near 80floz  of sf fluids.. which now that i'm over 6 months out is down to 64 being the requirement. I've kept it around/under 600-800calories most days.. i keep it under 50 carbs a day... and 60+ grams of protein.. and 64+ oz sugar free fluids... none of it is a problem. i'm eating about 4 times a day.. sometimes 5.. i can't eat more than 8oz at a time without getting 'chewbacca' upset.... so diet wise i think i'm doing alright.

I've started exersizing mroe.. close to an hour a day... i walk/jog (i havent been able to jog in four years... that is a huge accomplishment for me.. it feels amazing.. i walk half and jog half the time) for about half an hour.. then immediatley do 15 minutes of palates w/ resistance band.. then light weight lifting for 5-10 minutes. i do that 4-5 days a week.. the other 2-3 days i just walk or play dance videogames..

I'm not type 2 diabetic anymore. But I'm insulin resistant. my doctors dont think that will ever go away.. my endocrinologist believes I was born with it... (i was a heavy weight when i was born.. showed symptoms of it at 3 years old.. got diagnosed at 6-7 years old..) i have pcos, hypothyroidism, and mild sleep apnea.. but i'm getting another sleep study because they think that's gone too.

I'm on Metformin 850mg 2x a day. Aldactone 50mg 2x a day. Altavera birth controll (not sure the exact dosage..) Synthroid 50mg 1x a day. then my multivitamin 2x a day, calcium citrate 2x a day, vitamin D 1x a day and a B12 shot once a month..

Long post short.. I"m not losing... Accordign t omy surgeons office, i'm supposed to be losing aroudn 2 pounds a week.. my endocrine just wants me under 200lbs by august 1st when i see her.. (i'm 203 lbs... i'm hoping that wont be too hard to accomplish.. lol) i see so many doctors.. each one says something different so i'm stuck kind of fending for myself here.

Is there anything else anyone can think of to help me speed up my weight loss? i take my pills religiously. i exersize. i'm eating right. am i doing something wrong? or am i just really screwed? i'm 7 1/2 months out i've only lost about 45lbs since surgery... the rest of my weight that i've lost was pre-surgery... with higher doses of medications..but doctors have constantly changed my meds since surgery.. i havent been on a solid RX med routine for more than a month before someoen changes something again...

help? or at least tell me i'm not crazy for being frustrated with the constant med changes?

sorry this was really long. i'm kind of ranting while asking for advice..? hah.. it just sucks. i've been working my ass off, and it seems like no matter what i do nothing is changing.

i'm happy that ive lost as much as i have.. i don't regret it and i don't think i wuold have lost as much on my own without the surgery, so it's still one of the best decisions i have ever made in y life. i just wish i knew how to take better advantage of it... and i wish all my doctors would work together rather than going back and forth.. bleh.

advice? anything anyone can possibly think of that i could try? i've considered trying another liquid diet like i did 2 weeks pre-surgery.. or a modified one. but i'm not sure.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Could_It_Be
on 4/2/12 12:26 pm
 I've got no advice as it seems you are doing all the right things.

THAT SUCKS BALLS!!!!!!!!

VSG on 6/22/11
INgirl
on 4/2/12 12:29 pm
Hey Ashley!
The only thing I can suggest is dropping the carbs back to around 20 and see if that changes anything for you. I am IR, as well as my entire family- either IR or DII.. so for me to lose, and keep it gone I need to restrict my carbs down pretty low. I still stay satisfied as I don't do lo-fat, just moderate. That's my take on it, drop down in carbs, up the healthy fats to keep your cals in the same range, and push the water- I do best at about 100oz+ fluids a day. Either way, I think you got the under 200 by August! :)
Ashley O.
on 4/2/12 12:33 pm
Alright.. I'll definatley give that a try. thanks. (:

~

~

superchickk51
on 4/2/12 12:49 pm
 I had to cut my protien way down cause my 2nd month i lost 5 lbs, try just eating the meat for proyien thats what i did and i lost 20 lbs in march. good luck.

hwag5149
on 4/2/12 1:30 pm
Can you explain this? You had to cut your protein all together or just the shakes?

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Shagdoll
on 4/2/12 1:27 pm
Hey Ashley! We were sleeved on the same day! I dont know why I didn't notice before because I have been following your journey. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Could the possible long stall be a result of any of your meds? Birth control? If not, I think the weight will start to come off again. I stalled the entire month of January but then managed to lose 32 pounds total in February & March. The weight loss has got to kick in again since you seen to be doing what you'd supposed to.
Good luck gurl, I'll send positive thoughts your way!
Jenn
Ashley O.
on 4/2/12 1:38 pm

Hey! haha yeah, one day apart. crazy stuff. -- That's what i was wondering.. but it's hard to know.. i've questioned the birth control i'm on a few times.. but i've been on so many different types i've lost track. none of them seemed to do any more than the other. -- I hope it does.. it's been slow losing ever since surgery.. but its just getting slower. i just wish there was something i could do to jumpstart it again.

thanks! (:

-ashley

~

~

Shagdoll
on 4/2/12 1:29 pm
OK, oops... we were sleeved a day apart. We are still sleeve sisters!
superchickk51
on 4/2/12 1:42 pm
 I dont do shakes at all, i will not lose any weight with them. I lost 5lbs my 2nd month out. I eat a ****load of chicken and steak to get my protien in, all i eat is meat, and I went from 234 march 1st to 214 yesterday. i just had to play with it.

Most Active