Excess skin after surgery??

chocolateeri
on 4/4/12 12:13 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Hello,

I am totally new to this idea of surgery. I am researching and trying to find an MD and all of that, so I am in the very beginning stages. But I am concerned that if I get the surgery, my body will not look good (because it would be nice to look good naked lol). I am concerned that by losing so much weight so fast, then other surgeries willhave to follow to get rid of the skin. I am not that big ( like I have seen on TV) and I do not look at all how much I actually weigh ( I wear the weight really well), but I am still concerned. Has anybody experienced this? How is it after the surgery.

thisbe777
on 4/4/12 8:40 am
how your skin responds to weight loss depends on a lot of different factors: your age, how much excess weight you have, how long you've been overweight, how damaged your connective tissue is (lots of stretch marks means you probably will have sags - the skin is permanently "broken") and genetics....  it is darn near impossible to predict.....

me? i was in my 50's, had been overweight for decades, was 354 lbs at my highest, and while i do have good skin genes, the skin on my belly had been stretched out by excess weight and pregnancy...  and  i had problems with rashes, etc,  so i had a tummy tuck last year that took 10.5 lbs of skin off...  i had it done at the same time i had my gall bladder out....   i still want to have my arms done and my bewbies lifted...  but those are mostly for cosmetic reasons.... and to help my clothes fit better...

but i'd rather have some sagging skin than 130+ extra pounds on my body....   just sayin'...

good luck with your research!

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

INgirl
on 4/4/12 11:03 am
Speed of loss doesn't effect it- but the other stuff mentioned above do: how long, how big, how you carried it, stretch marks, age, genetics.. 

I lost over 150lbs when I was in my 20's, had a LOT of sagging skin.. (and was single, and dating around.. no issues with that!) I regained most of it- now lost it again some 15 years later, yep- still have loose sagging skin. If I decide on plastics to remove it is still up in the air, and not in my near future regardless.. but I CAN say this- I STILL look better naked with the droopy, flappy & loose bits, than I did with the fat! If you are MO, chances are there will be some part of your body that will show signs of the damage that was done.. please don't let this cosmetic issue be a fear against getting your obesity treated, it is such a small thing in the big picture.
Most Active