2 step surgery from band to sleeve and insurance approval

Pegray
on 4/5/12 8:05 am - Rogersville, MO
 Has anyone had their band removed and VSG done in two steps? The doctor I am going to wants to do band then wait 2 months. My other question is they will get approval for the band removal and then approval for the VSG how does that work? 
I have Cigna insurance that does not have the 1 bararatric clause and they do cover revision.
band2sleeve_2012
on 4/5/12 10:17 am
My band to sleeve is in two surgeries and three months between them. Surgeon says he does this to allow stomach to return to as normal shape as possible after band to then do sleeve.

I have United Health Care. My band had slipped is reason for removal.  Insurance required an updated psych evaluation to do sleeve.  Surgeon required updated attend education class and attend at least one support group and visit with dietician.  I also have to see my PCP for a pre-surgery physical within 30 days before either surgery (law). 

I received two separate letters of written insurance approval for both surgeries before band removed.   Band removal was outpatient.  Sleeve is inpatient with two night hospital stay (surgery on tuesday morning and leave hospital on thursday).   

Band removal was a breeze.  No pre-diet.  Just nothing after midnite the evening before surgery day. Very quick surgery.  After surgery diet was take it easy with soft foods for a day and then eat whatever after removed (within reason as don't want to gain between surgeries but surgeon says it is normal that many do gain inbetween).  When I went for my 10 day post op checkup is when the surgeon started the three month count to plan sleeve surgery date.  (so it is a bit more than three months wait).

Sleeve preparation is a two day liquid diet and then nothing after midnite the evening before surgery.  Clear liquids while in hospital - then two weeks of full liquids - then two weeks of pureed - then slowly reintroduce high protein diet meals size of about 2-3 oz.  My dietician does not limit carbs but I plan to minimize carb intake since many vets on OH say low carb seemed to work best for them. 

My employer treats both surgeries as one event for short term disability coverage.  For band removal short term disability was approved for four weeks - but I went back to work after two.  Not sure how long sleeve surgery short term disability will be approved for but assume I will be off more than two weeks as sleeve is a more major surgery.  

I hope that details helps.  Good luck !

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views