Dexilant and Maalox / Acid

Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 2:11 am, edited 4/22/12 2:21 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 As many of my friends on OH forums here know, I have been struggling with terrible acid and hunger ever since week 2 post op.

At first I tried over the counter Prilosec.  That helped a small amount but not nearly enough to handle the acid.  At my 1 month post op visit with the surgeon, he put me on Nexium in addition to the Prilosec.  After taking both meds (Prilosec in AM and Nexium at PM) it was still not controlling my acid and I found that I was far more hungry then I ever should be.  Of course, I couldn't be having hunger from the acid, not while taking 2 different PPI's!  Nonsense!  In addition, I was taking Maalox between 2 and 5 times a day because the acid was still driving me crazy. 

I saw my surgeon the other day for my 10 week post op visit and I reported to him what was going on.  He switched my PPI to a new medicine that's recently come out called Dexilant DR 60 mg 1/day.  I have been on it for several days now.  He also told me to NOT take any Tums or Maalox type medicine because while it gives you some relief initially, after a while, your stomach will actually start to produce MORE acid to try and compensate for the Tums/Maalox.  In the long run, it just causes more acid, which in turn makes you want to take more Tums or drink more Maalox defeating the purpose and getting you caught up in a trap to buy an endless supply of these medicines.  While I knew about the Tums, I thought Maalox worked differently, but he said that its the same thing as Tums in this regard.

I am happy to report that since going on this new medicine, I am down to only taking it once a day, not 2 different pills at different times of the day, its saving me money not having to buy both Rx's and I don't need to spend money on a huge bottle of Maalox every week now.  More importantly, my hunger is 80% improved and my acid no longer seems to be an issue so far.

Thank you God!  It's so nice to not be hungry all the time and miserable.

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/12 2:15 am
VSG on 10/17/12
Good for you! You've been fighting this a long time. Enjoy your relief! ...and thanks for the information.
Mylife_1973
on 4/22/12 2:46 am
VSG on 04/11/12
 Did your insurance cover the dexilant? Mine wouldn't until everything else had been tried. Maybe I will ask for it cuz I have tried everything else too. Congrats on finding something that works!
HW-267  SW-258.  CW- 204 GW-145

VSG scheduled 11 April 2012    
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 3:28 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 It was a bit more expensive.  It was $30 for the Rx.  Usually my Rx are either $10 or $20 but I do know that Baltimore City was talking about raising our copays for Rx so that might be why.  It was covered though because the regular price was over $180.

tripmom02
on 4/22/12 3:20 am - NJ
 YAY, I am so happy to hear this, I hate that you struggled for so long and I am glad that you found something that works! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 3:29 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Thanks Courtney .. so far so good :)

natalie37
on 4/22/12 3:33 am - Advance, NC
Revision on 03/28/12
was the increased acid causing the hunger? I didn't have ANY hunger after my rny for months, but I have been hungry since day 1 after having my revision. Had no acid issues w/rny since the gut re-routing eliminates this, but now my heartburn has returned even taking my ppi twice a day.
Natalie
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 4:05 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 From what I understand acid can mimic hunger.

Pooch2
on 4/22/12 4:05 am
We can never fail, if we don't give up!  Your persistence paid off, Congratulations....
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 4:06 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Thanks Pooch2!  I hope it stays like this for a while.  I know everyone's hunger will come back eventually and I do still get hungry but its not constant anymore and I even forgot to eat lunch the other day because I just wasn't hungry and forgot all about it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views