i was looking over some paperwork.... not following the plan exactly?

Ashley O.
on 5/2/12 3:56 am
there was a magneet thing the bariatric team gave me for my fridge to switch every like month or so post-op that had a list of food chioces and ideas and what i'm allowed and not allowed to have... by the time i ead 4months post op i was on the last card and said (duration: rest of your life) ... it says eat 1 - 1/2 cup at a meal 3-4 times a day, 1,000-1,200 calories, 60+ grams of protein and 64+oz sf fluids..

i'm getting 600-800 calories a day, 60+ grams of protein and 64oz+ sf fluids... and eating 5-8oz (volume wise.. i dont have a scale for my food) at a meal usually 4 times a day.... and occasionally having a piece of string cheese or half of a protein bar if my blood sugar gets low (which i've had some trouble with lately..) they didnt give carb limiations but i try to keep it under 30 a day..

Should I be trying to follow their guidlines more closely or do what works for me..? most people i see on here eat closer to what i'm eating now.. give/take some.. 

there is a hidden facebook group for teenagers that have had weigh tloss surgery through the program i had it through. .theres liek 30 something of them.. some as far as 5 years out, some still pre-op.. and one girl i met in person i added to my friends list... she freaking posted a picture of a big bowl of ramen noodles (she had the gastric bypass a couple weeks before i had my sleeve) that she was eating... thats just insane to me.. and then I start t owonder how many calories are in ramen noodles..? and does she think its okay because its included in under 1200 calories for a day...?

I don't know. things like this just get me thinking... I see the bariatric team at the hospital again in a couple weeks (and I know i'm going to be getting crap from them because I'm refusing to take anti depressants that they want me on...) should i bring this up? that i'm not eating nearly as much as what they've specified..? I'm sure the topic will come up how much i'm eating now, what i'm eating, etc.. i just don't know how I should handle it. am I in the wrong..? I physically can't eat more than 8oz at a time (unless it's something like soup where i can eat a little more..) so obviously i cant do that.. but calorie wise? i know i ate way more than 1200 preop. but the idea of eating that much now just kind of sickens me.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

George B.
on 5/2/12 4:12 am - Miami, FL
I'm in maintenance and as per the instructions I was provided I should be eating 1,200 calories per day. Most days I average 800 to 1,000 calories and am doing great, no regain.

If you have not reached your goal weight yet I would suggest you continue following the plan to lose weight. 

I followed the plan my doctor gave me and lost 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off without a lot of effort.

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight  and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

Good luck,
George

Kevin H.
on 5/2/12 4:17 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 As long as your not getting hypoglycemic, I don't see why eating LESS should be a problem.  Check with your Dr. to be sure though.

mawmawpenny
on 5/2/12 4:56 am - LA
Hi Ashley, haven't seen you post in a while. Looking at your weight loss looks like you are doing the right thing. Continued success to you.

Penny
seekingslimness
on 5/2/12 7:36 am
VSG on 02/24/12
I would think that what you are getting now for weight loss sounds fine.  However, I would like to address another issue you brought up, depression meds.  Why are you not taking them, what reason specifically?  I know that depression meds especially when your young sound like a horrible idea, and for most people there is a stigma attached, oh my gosh depression meds she must be nuts etc.  But please, please don't listen to those kinds of things.  Take from someone who learned the hard way. I am a nurse and I have been fighting depression and anxiety all my life, my parents tried to get me help as a teenager and I flat out didn't do anything I was told.  There are times now at 30, that I know if I had done something when I was younger my life up to this point would have been 100 times better.  If you had a heart condition or a broken leg your would seek medical advice right?  Please if they are suggesting other meds please at least try them for a few months and see if you don't feel better.  I am finally taking my meds as prescribed just this last year and my life has completely turned around. I finally realize they do help me feel better and it's not my fault, the chemicals in my brain are different and I need something to help, just like if some has a thyroid imbalance they needs meds to regulate those levels. Please, please, please at least try them for a few months and see how your feel, you did something as drastic as surgery to help yourself feel better, what a little pill for a few months to see if that helps even more.  I am begging you please don't waste the next 10-15 years of your life trying to feel better. Just give it a shot for a few months and see how your feel, from someone that has been there, please just try it. I don't mean to preach but I have been through so much in my life and it I could prevent someone else from having the same thing.  If after two months you don't feel any better well then discuss it with your doc, sometimes you have to try a few things to find the right thing.  You have done so much for yourself, please do one more thing, take the meds for two months and see how you feel. Please.
   NIKKI

MeTime0418
on 5/2/12 9:27 am
VSG on 04/18/12
I agree with seeking slimness 110%!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views