Vitamin D?

ButterflyAnna
on 5/8/12 11:56 pm
VSG on 07/02/12
I'm still in the pre-op phase....

Had all my bloodwork done last week. Surgeon's office called to tell me all of my labs came back normal except that I have a severe Vitamin D deficiency. I went to my PCP's office and he put me on a megadose Vitamin D pill once a week for 6 weeks. He said this type of vitamin therapy should bring my levels to "normal". Having a Vitamin D deficiency isn't something that would hinder surgery would it? I'm just so nervous about everything that every little bump in the road is making me panic!

Anna
Mom4Jazz
on 5/9/12 12:00 am, edited 5/9/12 12:00 am
I had the same thing and the horse pills bumped me up just fine.

I do now take a daily over-the-counter 1000 unit vitamin D gelcap supplement now and my levels have stayed great.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Snowberry
on 5/9/12 12:08 am
VSG on 04/10/12
 I agree with Mom4Jazz.  The prescription Vitamin D should get your levels up pretty quickly.  My level was 11 and after six weeks on the prescription Vitamin D, it was at 42.

Will a low level stop you from having the surgery?  That's entirely up to your surgeon.  I don't know about other doctors' rules, but my surgeon said my level had to be above 20 for him to do surgery. With the prescription, that was no problem.  

jmjm55077
on 5/9/12 12:11 am - MN
It's no tuncommon if you live in a place that is cold in the winter (like me in minnesota) and don't get outside much...I had the same happen right before my surgery. I just took the high dose vitamin D and tried to 'sun' more by starting a garden this spring. Just keep an eye on your vitamin D level...take your suppliments and you should be just fine!
jane   

Sandy76
on 5/9/12 1:10 am - OK
VSG on 05/29/12
This is so wierd my doc office just called me today I'm deficient too. Starting right away and they said this would not interrupt my surgery that is scheduled may 29th!!!!!
Most Active