Kaiser patients...

SusieQ_makingithapp
en2012

on 5/14/12 12:07 pm - CA
VSG on 08/14/12
 Just wondering how long after all classes and Dr appts have been met, that you get the call for scheduling the surgery? I had my last psych app on the 11th. The Dr said I was all cleared and that within a few weeks I should get the call to schedule the surgery... Just wondering how the process works with other Kaiser patients...

Thanks Susie
Thebentb
on 5/14/12 12:17 pm
VSG on 04/18/12
 Had to lose 10% of body weight.... Ekg then wait for an appt. for surgery....

Shagdoll
on 5/14/12 12:28 pm
Hi there,
I was taking the "options" classes last year and they ended on 6/30/12. After 2-3 weeks without a phone call, I decided to call to see what was going on. Don't be afraid to be a little assertive if you must even though I didnt want to appear pushy. I think it depends on what is going on with the hospital and how long the waiting list is at the time. After my classes ended, it took about 4 weeks to get my appt. but that was with me calling. Then when I met with the Kaiser surgeon, I was lucky to get my surgey scheduled within 2-3 weeks.
Good luck, this is an exciting time!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

danzeppelin
on 5/14/12 1:06 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
I've got Kaiser too. The time between appointments seems ridiculous. Two Weeks here, three weeks there... It's hard.

Barbara W.
on 5/14/12 1:28 pm - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Hi Susie,  I had Kaiser too.  My surgery is set for May 23rd.  It has
been a really long process.  I finished Options classes January 11th.
When I didn't get a call six weeks later I decided to be agressive. I
called and they set my appointment for nutritionist and psych.  I got
a nutritutionist appointment right away, but was told it would be
another 4-6 weeks to see the psych.  They said the psychs were
busy because they didn't have many.  When I went to the Nutritionist
appointment, as I was leaving, I decided to check with the appointment
desk for an earlier appointment.  I was lucky someone had cancelled, and
I got in three days later.  After another 3 weeks I still hadn't heard from the
surgeon so I called and was told to wait another week.  If I did not hear
to call them.  I waited one more week and asked what the holdup was.
They set my appointment for May 8th.  Now I am getting the surgery. I
found this whole process with Kaiser very stressful.  All the waiting just
took a lot out of me.  I wish you a lot of luck. Just to get the appointment
with the surgeon was horrible.  I called three times a day, every day, trying
to get an earlier appoint and they kept telling me there had been no
cancellations.  I did a lot of crying, and felt like the last person to be
set for surgery.  I wish you a lot of luck.  My Kaiser is Southern California,
Fontana.
Barbara

SusieQ_makingithapp
en2012

on 5/14/12 2:57 pm - CA
VSG on 08/14/12
 Wow! You did go through the hoops didnt you... Well Kaiser Fremont has been very different. I saw the surgeon, nutritionist and psych all in same day. I am just waiting for the call to schedule surgery now.. It did take a whille to get to this point though with all the tests and classes I had to take. I am just so nervous and excited at the same time! I am so ready for this. I am so thankful for this website and all the support on here...

Susie
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 2:24 pm
Hi Susie,
Looks like you're at Kaiser Fremont, right? I have heard so many good things about Dr. Chu!

I had Dr. Dennen at the same facility. My first appointment after the group orientation meeting was September 9, 2011. I asked to book my psych, nutritionist and surgeon appointments all on the same day, which they were willing to do. I lost all my weight by November 1st. I went for my final psych eval the first week of November (because I asked to be put on a cancellation list and got in the next week!) and was told my surgery would be January or February. Well, that wasn't going to work for me......

I called Nancy and let her know that I was willing to take a cancellation and all I needed was a few days of notice to be able to take any date. Nancy is very busy, but very nice. I also emailed my surgeon and let him know that my file was on his desk and would be grateful if he could expedite the process.

Good news followed.  2nd week of November I get a call from Nancy that Dr. Dennen had an opening on either December 7th or 14th and which one would I like! Whoo hoo! I took the 7th.

My advice, be a polite - always polite-, appreciative,  but somewhat squeaky wheel. Hope that helps.

Good luck!
SusieQ_makingithapp
en2012

on 5/14/12 2:50 pm - CA
VSG on 08/14/12
 Kairk!
Yes I will be having my surgery at Fremont Kaiser. I have had every appt already. My last one was on the 11th. Do I just call and ask for Nancy? I never asked to be put on cancellation list because I didn't know about that. I would love to be on that list... Thanks for the info... Gonna give them a call tomorrow... I heard lots of good stuff about Dr Chu also. I had her as the orientation Dr in one of the many classes I took. I feel very good about Dr Chu as my surgeon...
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 3:17 pm
Yup, just call the regular #. There is an option for Nancy (surgical scheduler) on the menu. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Gityup7
on 5/14/12 4:43 pm - CA
Mine went really quick. It depends on the location.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views