neuropathy

kam0520
on 5/21/12 10:36 am - AL
Sorry for two post in one night, but I thought about this about 5 minutes after I asked my other question .

Has anyone dealt with neuropathy pre and post op?  I was always told that the weight loss would probably help my neuropathy.  I have BAD neuropathy in both feet, I'm on Lyrica 3x a day.  There are some nights when I am crying myself to sleep the pain is so bad.  It got better for a little while (mainly when I was on narcotic pain meds too), but now that I am only on Lyrica, it seems like the neuropathy is getting WORSE, even though I've lost 120lbs.  My feet feel like they are ice cold, and the "pins and needles" sensations are horrible.  

Does anyone else have this problem?
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 11:04 am
hi there,

I unfortunately suffer from this due to a severe back injury in 2005. I have it in my entire left leg, much worse from the knee down and into my foot. I take Zonegran when it flairs up. I have noticed overall the condition has improved with my weight loss. However, when I DO have issues, they seem more intense. I think some of this is because now that I can actually see and feel my bones, the titanium in my back is more sensitive, I can actually feel it sticking out just a tad!

I hope you get some relief. Nothing is worse than dealing with this type of pain.

Hugs!
teahleah
on 5/21/12 3:36 pm
VSG on 07/02/12
Hey KA!

I'm no expert here but Ro was on to the right track I think. Once before I had my doc explain to me that the larger I am, the MORE of a drug that it would take to resolve an issue. So I'm thinking outloud here...in terms of a medication to help with neuropathy, I wonder if because you are losing weight could your dose need to be UPPED as you are now more sensitive to the pain whereas before your weight and body comp kept you from feeling it as intensely (mind you I am sure it hurts no matter what...my poor Mommie's feet and legs are always hurting her) but it's a thought.

HW: 475, Consult WT: 450.5 **Lost 63 lbs pre-op** SW: 387.5 M1: -31, M2: 
Check out my blog about my journey so far:  http://breakingoutbebe.blogspot.com
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 7:16 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
i suppose if any pain was caused by extra weight then it would get better with weight loss. whereas any pain that was not associated with obesity may not neccesarily go away.

i'm sorry to hear how you feel.  hopefully it will resolve with med tweaking.
Marabell
on 5/22/12 10:35 am
VSG on 06/07/12
I get this as well...it worsens when my iron level is deficient...have you had your iron saturation level checked lately? not just the hemoglobun....make sure they check your iron saturation level! (IBC, UIBC or TIBC). Also....a low level of B12 can worsen the neuropathy and the iron level is also affected.

hope you feel better soon

Most Active