Gum.. Taboo or not?

SleevedPrissy1
on 6/9/12 7:36 am - OK
 I love chewing gum. Am almost three wks po. Some people say they do. Some ppl say no way? Does anyone hv a prob with chewing gum?
Ashley O.
on 6/9/12 7:42 am
as long as it's sugar free, no problem..
just don't fall asleep chewing it, or swallow it.. that could create issues.. :P

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

SleevedPrissy1
on 6/9/12 7:46 am - OK
 Ok great thanks!
jamiectone
on 6/9/12 7:53 am
 My doc says no, only because he got tired of removing blockages after people swallowed it.
Donna B.
on 6/9/12 8:09 am
does this apply if you are many months out, say 8 months?

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

hwag5149
on 6/9/12 8:13 am
I don't think we get "blockages" considering we have normal stomachs...

I have heard that chewing gum promotes hunger but don't quote me on it. Something about stomach acid. I don't know. I do know that if I'm really thirsty and don't have anything to drink it makes me not thirsty.

As for the answers here, they seem to be opinions so far and not based on any factual info so I wouldn't go on it, including mine.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

USAF Wife
on 6/9/12 8:13 am
I started chewing gum around 6 months out I think. No issues. Stomach was healed, on regular food. You'll poop it out just like you would pre-op. We have a normal stomach just like before, just smaller, not a pouch for it to get stuck in or block a stoma.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

letsgobucks
on 6/9/12 1:35 pm
I am 2.5 weeks out and have been chewing gum pretty much since I got home from the hospital.  Got it OK'ed by the doc.
USAF Wife
on 6/9/12 10:00 pm
On June 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM Pacific Time, letsgobucks wrote:
I am 2.5 weeks out and have been chewing gum pretty much since I got home from the hospital.  Got it OK'ed by the doc.
That's great you got it approved.

At 2.5 weeks, the staple line isn't even healed, so my surgeon doesn't want to risk a swallow. But, we're adults not 3 year olds, and I can't remember the last time I swallowed a piece of gum.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MyOwnSunshine
on 6/9/12 2:31 pm
I didn't start until about 6 months out, either, but now I chew it like a mofo when I have boredom/head hunger.  I try to alternate gum and hot tea on days that I work and want to eat like crazy.

Just don't chew it right after you eat, because it does create excess saliva, which can kind of make you feel over-full and icky if you just ate a bunch of dense protein.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Most Active