Bike ride report

Jenny C.
on 6/9/12 11:28 pm
I rode my first century ride yesterday...was actually 96.2 miles.  Seattle area, so RAIN of course--just in the early morning.  We actually got a bit of sun and warmth after noon.  Completed the ride in  just over 5 hours of riding time.  I was nervous about nutrition, but biking is actually pretty agreeable for a post-op---lots of small stuff, pretty frequently.  Up 1 pound today--it's got to be fluid.  RIGHT????  Nothing's really sore today, going for a short recovery ride.

I love, adore, am in awe of, cant get enough of, can't live without, appreciate
my sleeve.

Jaybee766
on 6/9/12 11:38 pm - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Awesome!  Congratulations.

Question: did you always ride?  if not, at what point did you begin (during weight loss)  I'm itching to buy a bike but want to be sure it's safe for me.
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

Jenny C.
on 6/10/12 3:35 am
I have been a year-round bike commuter since 2005.   I think I built up some significant muscle biking at my highest weight, but really it didn't make me lose more than a few pounds to be a biker.  I think I waited until about 6 weeks post-op to get back on my bike.  My commute is short (6 mi round trip) but hilly.  In September I started doing 20 mile hilly rides with a group of women, then finally got a road bike in March.  Since then I've been upping miles and getting stronger and fitter.

Check with your doc for guidelines on when/how much to bike.  I started doing core work long before I started the 20-mi rides, and I'm convinced that's what has made me a super strong cyclist.

This is good stuff for reaching and maintaining a goal weight.  Good luck!

acbbrown
on 6/9/12 11:43 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Wow what an amazing accomplishment. I barely survived a metric century a while back! (my favorite snack during long rides is Starbucks fraps - the sugar and caffeine work miracles. I usually only like the gels that have caffeine in them too). 

Im surprised you're only up a lb. It's certainly fluid from your muscles recovering. Get some extra protein today and it'll drop quickly. Congrats!!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jenny C.
on 6/10/12 3:37 am
 Thanks.  My group would have killed me if I'd taken a Starbucks break, but gosh that sounds so good!

rhearob
on 6/10/12 1:03 am - TN
 Awesome job.  I just bought a bike and started riding again - What a work out.  You must be in pretty awesome shape to ride that far and not be sore right now!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Jenny C.
on 6/10/12 3:37 am
I love, love, love cycling.  Third only to husband and my sleeve.  Hope it works out great for you.

Knit1
on 6/10/12 3:06 am - WA
FANTASTIC Jenny!!! I knew you'd do great.
Fluids, protein & recovery today.
Hugs & kudos my friend!
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
Jenny C.
on 6/10/12 3:40 am
Hi Janet!  Thanks for your beer-cheersing-smiley guys and well wishes (and confidence!).  Yes, fluids, protein and recovery.  I'm ready for my nap, Mr. DeMille.
xoxo

michael B.
on 6/10/12 9:41 am - MA
VSG on 03/19/12
 Congrats!  Great accomplishment!  I just bought a road bike myself and am addicted!  
Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)                        
Most Active