Female question

kam0520
on 6/11/12 2:56 am - AL
What do you ladies used for post-op birth control? 

I am having such horrible periods and I want a few ideas to discuss with my doctor at my appointment on Wednesday.  

My periods are so heavy that I can not function.  I had to have a D&C with the last cycle.  It's just been horrible every since VSG.  

Anyone else having this type of problem?  Thanks!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
moonglo82
on 6/11/12 2:57 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Mine were horrible before surgery, as was my first one postop. Since then, I have been on Zovia. It's a 28-day cycle pill, and my periods have been so much more manageable! Still a good bit of blood, but the cramps are practically nonexistant.

Good luck figuring out what works best for you!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

kam0520
on 6/11/12 3:01 am - AL
I don't mind a good bit of blood, I mind the fact I had to go buy incontinence pads yesterday and still bleed through those...or a super tampon in about 15 mins.  :(

moonglo82
on 6/11/12 3:03 am
VSG on 03/29/12

Wow!  No, since using Zovia, mine has been contained just fine with typical use of tampons or pads.  Like I kept a super tampon in all day at work with no issue.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Shagdoll
on 6/11/12 3:05 am
Hi,
I've had the IUD for over 3 years now. I love it and it was recommended by my doctor. I love to not have to think about taking a daily pill or even taking a shot but that's just me.
The downside is I literally spotted for the first 3 months nonstop but once that passed, my periods were practically nonexistent.
After my VSG though, I started to get TOM again for several months but now I seem to be back to hardly showing signs of a period which is great. I usually know it's that time of the month when I get mild cramping that just lasts less than a day.
Hope you can find something that works for you.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

kam0520
on 6/11/12 3:07 am - AL
Thanks.  My doc talked to me about Mirena before surgery (because his wife has had such success with it), for when I wouldn't be able to take my hormones, but my body just decided to not have a period and it worked out without hormones!  LOL  I may have to talk to him about that again!  Thanks!

elizasgone
on 6/11/12 3:49 am - St Cloud, FL
VSG on 06/28/12
I agree...I have the Merena IUD....and I LOVE it... I got it because of bad periods....had a D & C Etc.
bearcatmom
on 6/11/12 3:59 am
VSG on 02/15/12

Prior to surgery I didn't have any periods for 2 yrs. Within a month of surgery I had my first. The doc gave me NuvaRing and told me instead of taking it out after 3 wks to leave it in until the day I am supposed to use the new one. I have a very small period now. Maybe 2 days and very light. Before it was 7-10 days of heavy bleeding.

In the end it's gonna depend on your body. I've tried numerous before and this seems to be the best for me.  Doesn't work for my friend tho. Just talk with your doc bc there are tons of options available these days.

EliseG
on 6/11/12 4:17 am - MA
My experience is just like Shagdoll's. I used to have horrible periods, lasting literally weeks, then went on Mirena. Didn't have a period from 2009 to when I had surgery. I've since gotten it back, but it's still way less than before.

chiefsgirl3
on 6/11/12 4:29 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 Mirena IUD and love it!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views