Plastic surgery update

ruggie
on 6/17/12 1:56 pm - Sacramento, CA
Ok, I've been "gently reminded" that it's time for me to post another update on my plastic surgery (LBL + chest lipo).  For those who don't know, LBL is the combo of a panniculectomy, tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), and butt lift.  It's also known as a belt lipectomoy.  360 degree removal and restitching.  

I'm nearly two weeks out, having surgery on June 4th.  It was waaay long since I turned out to be a bleeder, which isn't unusual in post-bariatric patients.  These huge bellies we had needed a whole lot of blood and vasculature to feed it, and so I bled a lot.  Lost over a pint.  It slowed the surgery down and it eneded up take 10.5 hours including the chest lipo.

My pain tolerance is pretty low and week 1 really sucked for me.  Horrible.  Could manage the pain the first 48 hours after leaving the hospital.  Had to resort to double doses of oxycodone (which just shut down my digestive track), made it down to single doses, and this week finally on half-doeses.  I had my two JP drains pulled out on Friday (boy THAT was a freaky feeling) and I'll have my sutures removed on Tuesday.  Excited about that - the sutures are starting to itch like crazy and they feel thick like fishing line.

Because my abs are literally as tight as a drum, they because ischemic and there was worry it was going to necrotize.  Fortunately, it seems like the skin has pulled through and the angry, red and blistery skin is retracting.

I have more slack on my butt than my abs so I can kinda bend forward ok although I can't really sit normally in a chair yet.  Just yesterday I've been able to get up and back into bed on my own without assistance from my partner.

I'm pretty swollen, but that's par for the normal.  Feeling human again.  Amazed that my skin apron, love handles, and butt drapes are gone now.  I can only imagine how good this will look in a couple months when a lot of healing has progressed.

According to the scale, I've lost roughly 5 pounds of blood, skin, and tissue - give or take. 

Kinda going crazy confined to the bed and the couch though.  Keeping up my protein with shakes to accelerate my healing. 

soooooooooo looking forward to being able to drive, wear clothing, and go clothes shopping.  For now I lie in a robe and just keep changing which part of my body I'm lying on.  uuuuuuugh.

Havve a great surgeon though.  He's done wonders.  Increased my flat butt volume by folding back part of my lower back skin and pulled the ab skin enough so that I didn't have a vertical sca from my original belly button.

Uh... any questions?

P.S.  Thanks to all of you who answered my pre-op plastics questions.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

I_Sd8_em
on 6/17/12 2:07 pm
Good Luck and God Speed! Hope you feel better soon.
Kevin H.
on 6/17/12 2:11 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Sounds like your on your way to a full recovery.  I'm sure it will be worth it all.  Best of luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 2:21 pm
I am glad you are feeling better, more human as you say and I am especially happy to hear that you are avoiding the necrotization of the skin.  That can take such a long time to heal.  Drink your protein like it's going out of style.  Your body really needs it now. 
INgirl
on 6/17/12 2:26 pm
Hey Ruggie, Glad you are progressing.. I do sorta have a question. Considering the LBL incision goes all the way around, not even considering the butt aug, how do you find a comfortable position to rest in? I still vacillate about plastics.. and know in order to get a good result, I would need the works as well. I cannot handle any narcotics, all make me insanely nauseous.. So the idea of dealing with post-PS pain with nothing stronger than strong NSAIDs like Toradol kinda spooks me (worked fine post vsg, but that's a walk in the park compared to this). I'm still on the fence, not even considering the financial investment, just the pain/complication vs payoff, you know?

ruggie
on 6/17/12 2:59 pm - Sacramento, CA
well... I lay on my back.  Then my left side.  Then my right side.  Then I take a valium and repeat the cycle.  

Man, without the narcotics... I don't know what to tell you - are there any non-narcotic options?  I'd heard of Toradol but i've also heard it's not too potent.  

I hear about you mean.  Maybe you could take toradol in combo with a super high level of muscle relaxant?  Maybe ask about this on the plastics forum- you can't be the only person with a narcotics issue.  

Let me know what you find out.

slimpickins5280
on 6/17/12 11:30 pm - CO

I think you and I were sisters in a past life. I am allergic to most narcotics too. There's one, starts with an L, but I can't remember the name, it didn't bother me.

When/if I get plastics I'll be asking about pain management alternatiives.

Best of luck to you.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 2:52 pm
Hey, glad to hear you're doing better and well on the road to recovery. Can't wait till you're up and about and I can drag your new butt shopping!
I have many questions, but they can wait for now.
Wishing you the quickest road to being back on your feet!
ruggie
on 6/17/12 3:00 pm - Sacramento, CA
Feel free to ask - I need to kill some time anyway.

Looking forward to shopping with you as well ;)

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 3:28 pm
Okay.... here's the first one:
Can one get abdominal skin removal without muscle tightening? 

Then question #2: The butt lift (for lack of a better term) - is it just skin removal or was there something more to it? 

Most Active