Sensitive Kids vs. Mean Kids - Who I believe is to blame

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 3:45 am - Tallahassee, FL
Did I get your attention? 

I blame the doctors......  in a round-a-bout way.  Let me explain.

I've been coming to this board  for over 2 years.  There weren't that many people posting here.  A day might bring maybe 2 pages of postings.  The VSG was relatively unheard of.  Very few insurance plans covered it.  The few that did made you jump through a ton of hoops.   Most "newbies" back then had to do a ton of research.  I believe there was more in depth information gathering at that time.  Many people had to wait a long time to either save money or wait for their insurance to cover the surgery. 

The doctors who actually DID the surgery had very, very specific requirements for post-operative care, eating, etc.  Just 2 years ago I saw many people here (who are vets now) express concern that the VSG would end up replacing the Lap-band as a go-to weight loss surgery.  The concern was that as the VSG grew in popularity and availability, that there would be less of a requirement for psychiatric screening, less of a requirement for pre-surgery classes to be instructed and informed, and so on.

No one has the VSG without being a newbie.  You can't skip start.  Some of the questions I see here, though, are astounding, particularly in many post-op people.  I think that many of the surgeons who were originally doing the VSG ran a much tighter ship, both here in the US and in Mexico.

I don't believe it is true that there are no stupid questions.  I do believe that if physicians were requiring greater accountability from their patients, both pre and post op, that there would be more people asking fewer questions that are silly because they would have been already educated enough to figure it out in the first place.

No heaven will not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me.
~Author Unknown

lucy2e
on 6/20/12 4:05 am - Laurel, MD
I have mixed feelings about your post.  Agree that all doc's should "run a tight ship" and ensure their patients have the answers they need.  I know that my doc has a wonderful program.  They told you everything that you could ever want to know and also gave it to you in writing.  I took all my materials and put the in a binder, gave myself tabs for easy reference.  Even after such a thorough program, I would forget some things and often refered back to my "bible" - it was all in there, just needed to look it up if I didn't remember.

I found that after surgery there were some people who went through the same program that I went through asked many questions that I was amazed they could have with such a thorough program.  Then I realized in the prep phase we are excited and nervous - it's really easy not to absorb all that information.  A lot of people don't read the information they are given.  It is so much information - ours is broken up and given in 3 seperate sessions.  I bet many people lost the materials rather than putting it all in a binder like I did.  

So with that perspective, I can't blame everything on the doc's.  They can have an awesome program - but if the patient doesn't take the time and energy to learn the information, they can still "fall through the crack".

Great post! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:25 am - Tallahassee, FL
I agree with  you, Lucy.  I really don't blame the doctors for everything either.  There will always be patients who don't do their part, regardless of the doctor's requirements.  I do feel that the problem really is somewhat exacerbated now by some doctors jumping onto the VSG bandwagon.  I guess when that happens it just leaves even bigger cracks for patients to fall (or jump) into.

Thanks!

~Author Unknown

Crabadams72
on 6/20/12 4:40 am - Silver Spring, MD
Angel and Lucy,
I have seen it both ways. I DO agree that there is some far out information being given now. I had an excellent surgeon but the NUTS at my bariatric program were into the "eat balanced 1200 calories a day plan". They also spew the myth that RNY folks lose weight faster. When I came to this board there were more vets and daily post on people that hit goal. I noticed they were very strict with their approach and I also started researching as much as possible. I had my 1 yr visit last week and the Dr and RN treated me like I was a freak of nature. I hit my Dr's goal in 7mos and my goal in 9months. Now I am at my "fantasy" weight.

Where I agree with Lucy is that no matter how much information you give people some of them just refuse to read. On a FB group I was a part of, a young lady just posted that she is on mushies and does not know what to eat. She went to my Dr. and we are given a big folder that has dietary guidelines and meal plans. Honestly, that kind of stuff is also on google. The biggest difference I see in OH VSG board in 2012 that I did not see in 2010 is that the newbies are QUICK to ATTACK any and all advise and suggestions given (I left the FB group for that reason). It is odd because it is one thing to perform a surgery but another to live it and experience it. I had nurses tell me what the "full" feeling is like and none of them had it right--for what I felt!.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:49 am - Tallahassee, FL
I totally agree with you.  I think that there are always a certain percentage of people who are (or choose to be) completely clueless.  As the VSG gains popularity and the surgery numbers go up, so too will the number of clueless people go up.

Your experience makes me think about male obstetricians trying to explain what it's like to have a baby. 

~Author Unknown

ruggie
on 6/20/12 4:53 am - Sacramento, CA
 I see both sides of this story - and I've shared Anita's fears for some time. I think she's describing exactly what is starting to happen - that VSG is replacing the lap band as the go-to surgery. But we're seeing the results now from these low-cost, low-caring surgeons. One leave their patients with no meal plans !!!! And they stumble around here trying to learn what to eat only to find it does not match their pre surgery expectations. Or worse, their surgeon says to eat the same stuff as before, just in smaller quantities. It's enough to make me want to pull my hair out. Frisco has been predicting this for quite some time. 

But yes, then there's the flip side now that current newbies are quick to attack. That's a whole other issue which has been beaten to death in the last 48 hours...  I think ;)

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

acbbrown
on 6/20/12 4:47 am, edited 6/20/12 4:48 am - Granada Hills, CA
I agree that docs need to have better, more comprehensive post op plans. Absolutely. We are all disordered in one way or another and removing a large part of our stomach does nothing to help with that.

But, patients all need to be willing to put the work in and not rely on "bibles" for every decision they have to make. We all need to take responsibility, learn about proper nutrition, develop a workable plan, work on our mental issues, and everything that's involved in making a transition into a healthy life style.

I had pretty much no real post-op plan from my doc, no resources other than a  food pyramid, no support from my surgeon or any of his "team". However, I kind of knew that going in, and learned quickly after, so I had to do it on my own and have never used that as an excuse. And maybe it's been better for me that way because i have to think for myself, learn as I go, and I kind of think that maybe, for me,  i'll be better off in the long run through my trial and error process I've taken.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ruggie
on 6/20/12 4:56 am - Sacramento, CA
 I think you've really crystallized it there with taking responsibility!  To be accountable, learn, iron out mental issues.  Well said. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 5:01 am - Tallahassee, FL
A big huggie for our Ruggie!

~Author Unknown

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 5:01 am - Tallahassee, FL

Gosh, AC, that is just outrageous that your doctor just left you kind of floundering that.

You deserve even greater credit, then, for the success you have achieved.  Your input is always valuable here!

~Author Unknown

Most Active