A Lost Sheep

vignesja
on 6/27/12 3:55 am - NJ
Hello Fellow Sleevers. It has been over a year that I've had my surgery. I have lost 65 lbs. and have been in a stall for a long time (my fault). I haven't been here in a long time either.

Can you give me some advice as to how to kick start my weight loss again? I need to lose about 40-50 more lbs. I haven't been walking as I should, and know that I have to do that. I'd love to be able to lose a majority of the remaining weight before October, my 50th birthday. Would love to be fit, fabulous & fifty. Thank you for any insight or encouragement you could give me.

God Bless your day.
Jan

Stephanie M.
on 6/27/12 4:03 am
The best way to get rid of regain is to just go back to basics. 60+ grams of proteins, cut out the processed foods, make your carbs come from produce of whole grains. Religiously track your food with a food tracker (I use My Fitness Pal.) Move, at least a little, 3 or 4 times a week. Examine what got you off track in the first place. Are you an emotional eater? Have you been letting junk carbs creep back in? If you have to, find a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. I did and it's made all of the difference in learning how to process my emotions without using food. Also, look at what you're eating that makes you have cravings. If it makes you get out of control, you have to give yourself rules about when and how you can eat it.

You can do it! The first step is the hardest part!

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

vignesja
on 6/27/12 4:34 am - NJ
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. :)  This is good info.....and yes, I've noticed that some sweets have been creeping back in. Thank you for the info....I'm also going to look into Fitness Pal. Thanks.

bedazzle
on 6/27/12 4:16 am
VSG on 04/26/12
Someone just posted about doing the 5 day pouch test to kick start their weight loss...just a thought.

vignesja
on 6/27/12 4:31 am - NJ
Thank you so much for your time! I will take a look at the 5 day pouch test!!

louisamay
on 6/27/12 4:28 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Welcome back!  Just being here is a great first step!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

vignesja
on 6/27/12 4:30 am - NJ
Thank you so much!!! Feels good to be back.

AzureAurora
on 6/27/12 4:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 Tracking everything on My Fitness Pal helps me keep in line 

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

Happy966
on 6/27/12 5:23 am

That's a do-able amount to lose, but don't get too hung up on getting there by any particular date.  I weigh-measure-record everything I eat and track obsessively.  Doesn't matter what it is or how I feel about it, I log it.

I am not as hard-core low carb as some folks, but I don't eat many carbs, no bread, pasta or recreational sugar (I will eat some things with sugar in them, like ketchup).  I'm usually around 50 g per day.  I eat at least 70 g of protein a day, but this far out, I'm usually more like 90+ g a day.  Drink more than 2 liters of fluid a day - I'm trying for 3.

Purge your house of crap foods.  You know what they are!!  Make a plan, and then do what it takes to stick to it, imperfectly, one day at a time.  Be gentle with yourself, don't use food as a punishment or a reward, and get the help and support necessary to deal with the sh*t that comes up when you stop eating your personal binge foods. 

Accept that this may be a struggle for the rest of your life.  It will be for me.  Accept that you might not have good instincts about food, especially if you're stressed or hungry.  I don't.  Clean eating for me brings peace of mind around food, and that is more important than weight loss.  I have to find joy in clean eating, because one day, I will stop losing weight and I will still have to follow a plan.  Peace of mind, baby!!

Hugs!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Knit1
on 6/27/12 5:52 am - WA
Happy, I always love your advice. You are a very grounded person.
Janet
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views