Any insight on this? Pulmonary Embolism post op...

Michelle10929
on 6/27/12 11:59 pm - NC
Yesterday was my 2wk post op visit, and I complained about my cough. They heard some wheezing on the end of my inhales in the lower lobes, but my o2 sat was 99-100%. SOOO.. they sent me to my PCP to be checked out. My PCP FREAKED out, and didn't even want to see me, she wanted me to go straight to the ER for the fear of it being a pulmonary embolism. I laughed it off, and once she finally saw me she calmed down too because I'M FINE! I'm walking, talking, breathing, laughing.. feeling normal FINE.

SO.. to do a big CYA she did a chest xray, which looked good. Then she said well, let me just go ahead and do the blood work to rule out a PE even though you really have no symptoms, and you look great.

I get the call this morning that my labs were abnormal, and I have to go into the hospital at 12:30 for a CT Scan and if anything is found I'll be admitted.

So, yah.. thats my day. Sigh. I just came back to work today, and now I have to turn around and leave again hopefully just for today. I'll post later the results of the CT scan.

Unreal. Kind of scary to feel FINE, with just an annoying cough but for something like this to be going on :/

Ashley G.
on 6/28/12 12:12 am - SC
At about 4 weeks post-op, I was having problems breathing.  I didn't have a cough or anything, just shortness of breath.  When I went to my PCP, she sent me for a CT scan.  I had pneumonia and a plueral effusion (an infection in the lining of the lungs).  

I ended up having to go to the ER, and the ER doc said it wasn't that bad.  He put me on some antiobiotics, and two weeks later I feel much better!

Hopefully this won't be that big a deal for you.  They mentioned a Pulmonary Embolism for me before they found out it was pneumonia.  I wish you luck!

neecie1123
on 6/28/12 12:43 am - NC
 I hate to hear that!!! Please keep us posted.  I am having sx with CWM as well.  Hope you get a great report.

sweymer77
on 6/28/12 2:04 am - OH
VSG on 06/11/12
Do exactly what they say. PE's are nothing to ignore. I had a massive one when I was in the hospital with a shattered hip socket in October. I had no symptoms at all! The hospitalist had came in after I was done with physical therapy the first day after surgery and noticed my heart rate was up so he ordered a CT scan. Thank God he did because if it was not found I probably wouldn't be alive today. It had already passed through my heart (another Thank God!!) and had broke off into both sides of my lungs. They put me on "blood thinners" through my IV right away and got my levels to where they needed to be. I am now on "blood thinners" until this coming October. My PE was checked right before my VSG surgery on 6/11/12 and thankfully it was gone!!
Praying for you.
Let us know what they say!

36 LBS was before my VSG surgery. Surgery Date was 6/11/12.
Dee60
on 6/28/12 2:38 am
VSG on 02/21/12
Sending prayer and positive thoughts your way. Please keep us posted !

dizrick
on 6/28/12 3:18 am - SC
Hang in there Michelle, you will be fine. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Somebody is watching over me. Wrecked my Harley on monday a week before my surgery, but I am ok and ready for the VSG..
Michelle10929
on 6/28/12 9:08 am - NC
OooK, all better. Wow, they sure do know how to freak someone out lol. Any little thing that happens post-op really becomes a big deal!

I found out that the abnormal test was a d-dimer test.. and of all the reasons why it may come back abnormal (but not be a pulmonary embolism) #1 on the list was.. recent surgery. LOL. I really in my gut had a feeling that the test had something to do with coagulation or inflammation of some sorts with the surgery giving me that false position.

#1 Whew is that I'm fine!
#2 Whew is... hell, I already hit my max out of pocket so this ER visit was cheap! haha

Marabell
on 6/28/12 10:23 am
VSG on 06/07/12
whew!
I was nervous for you....soooo glad you are ok hon.

Most Active