How to cook Tofu...any ideas?

tillmadd
on 7/8/12 9:20 am - WI
 I just tried to cook Tofu by slicing it and stir frying it in a bit of olive oil with garlic, cumin, soy sauce, and shrimp, brocolli. Not sure if I did it correctly? It did not brown or harden, just tastes plain w/ flavoring of stir fry. How do you cook tofu? Any ideas?
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

diane S.
on 7/8/12 9:33 am
yeah, the stuff is bland alright. two suggestions:

one is to make up a packaged asian hot and sour soup mix (which usually calls for a fresh egg dropped in) and then finely cube the tofu and simmer it in the soup. make it hotter and sourer with pepper sauce and lime or vinegar.

the other is to stir fry it like you did but add every single asian flavor you can find including lime, garlic, minced ginger, hot sauce, soy sauce, mint , cilantro, hot mustard, tomatoes and anything else you can think of. you can get minced ginger in a jar and it works great. you might cook it longer than usual and simmer in some liquid like chicken broth. cut up the tofu in small pieces.

you could also make chili and substitute tofu for beef. i haven't tried that though.

diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

frisco
on 7/8/12 9:38 am

Sometimes Tofu is hard to cook.......

First try it cold..... a common simple Japanese treatment is just cubed/sliced and dipped.

Mix soy sauce, grated daikon, wasabi or colmans yelow mustard, grated ginger topped with bonito flakes.....Excellent !

I will have Tofu recipes on an upcoming blog.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

tillmadd
on 7/8/12 10:41 am - WI
 thanks so basically it has no taste or texture kind of reminded of scrambled egg in stir fry but takes on the flavor of the recipe correct?
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

rainyone
on 7/8/12 10:47 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
It really has no taste on it's own but absorbs the flavour of what you soak it in, sauce wise. I actually find my sleeve loves it and when I do stir fry will add some.

I cube it and use soya, spices and hot sauce.

I used to love ageda****ofu from sushi places - deep fried tofu - they coat it in potato or corn starch and fry it and then serve it in a sauce. Not really the most wls plan friendly but if you are going out for sushi - might be easier to eat than rice/sushi if you aren't a sashimi fan and can't tolerate rice. Although edemame might be better. :-) I digress.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Chana
on 7/8/12 3:23 pm
Make a curry - cube it and then saute in nonstick skillet.  Add tomato sauce, diced tomato, other veggies (I like fresh peas, bell peppers), and curry powder or garam masala.  Can also add a little lite coconut milk.

Make a reuben (sans bread).  Slice 1/4" thick, saute in nonstick skillet.  Top with a slice of Swiss cheese, a little sauerkraut and a T. of Thousand Island dressing.

Also does well with TexMex type seasonings.  Or can make into a mock lasagna - layer with sliced eggplant or zucchini and tomato sauce - top with mozzarella.

With tofu, if you saute by itself in the skillet with a spritz of Pam or a little oil and no other liquids, it will brown fine.

Hope this helps.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views