Good Labs but no energy__Please help.

hollirrose
on 8/7/12 9:12 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I am looking for advice here. I had surgery in Mexico so there really isn't any follow up. Here's the info...
I am 3.5 months out and have lost 84 lbs(a few pre op). I'm 5'7, weigh 255 now, and am 34 years old. I am not very active and maybe walk 2 miles or so a week. My labs came back and all my numbers are good but I am so tired all of the time. I know I need to up the exercise but I just don't have any energy. I looked at mfp and here are my averages over the last 2 weeks. What can I do to feel better? Do I need a few more carbs or calories? Any advice is welcomed!
Week 1 daily average- calories 600/fat 25/carbs 10/protein 88
Week 2- calories 600/fat 31/carbs 14/protein 89
ParisGirl
on 8/7/12 9:33 am
VSG on 04/25/13
Did they test your thyroid?

Elaine2
on 8/7/12 9:41 am - Atlanta, GA

You've done a great job with your weight loss---84 lbs in 3.5 months is great.

I'm going to suggest just a few things that might help
---Are you taking your multi vitamins, D3 and B-12? I notice a difference if I don't. (Can't say anything about Calcium or others as this is all I take.)
---Are you drinking all your fluids?  More is better and really helps flush out the system, so to speak.
---Even an additional 15-20 min walk per day might help....maybe at lunch time?  Exercise energizes, IMO.

I'm not suggesting more cals---but you might want to space your meals into multiple smaller meals more often. I still never feel hunger but can feel my energy level drop which is a clue to refuel. I do better eating smaller amounts more often. I'm at 800 cals, 80 protein and less than 30 carbs (usually around 20.) If you do feel the need to add calories, I would do a protein shake for an additional snack. 

Hope this helps.

hollirrose
on 8/7/12 10:02 am
VSG on 04/21/12
On August 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM Pacific Time, Elaine2 wrote:

You've done a great job with your weight loss---84 lbs in 3.5 months is great.

I'm going to suggest just a few things that might help
---Are you taking your multi vitamins, D3 and B-12? I notice a difference if I don't. (Can't say anything about Calcium or others as this is all I take.)
---Are you drinking all your fluids?  More is better and really helps flush out the system, so to speak.
---Even an additional 15-20 min walk per day might help....maybe at lunch time?  Exercise energizes, IMO.

I'm not suggesting more cals---but you might want to space your meals into multiple smaller meals more often. I still never feel hunger but can feel my energy level drop which is a clue to refuel. I do better eating smaller amounts more often. I'm at 800 cals, 80 protein and less than 30 carbs (usually around 20.) If you do feel the need to add calories, I would do a protein shake for an additional snack. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your suggestions. I guess because my labs came back good that I didn't need to to take anything but my multi vitamin, which is the only thing I have taken since surgery. I will get B12 and D3 and see if that helps. I guess there is no harm if I don't need them. Anything at this point would be worth a shot. I do drink a min of 64 oz a day. I quit counting at 64 but would guess that I drink at least 80 oz a day. As I was typing my post... I knew that more exercise was probally the solution. =) walking tired...isn't gonna kill me. Again, thank you!
hollirrose
on 8/7/12 9:42 am
VSG on 04/21/12
Yes. They checked my thyroid. It is functioning fine. The only thing not normal is raised liver enzymes. Mine were 145 and normal is 30, I think. The doctor is going to re-test the enzymes in 3 months. I forgot to mention I drink at min 64 oz of water.
newsuzicue
on 8/8/12 3:40 pm
Thank you for your post.  I am 3 months post op and have lost 60 lbs. and am also dealing with extreme fatigue.  I have the Epstein Barr Virus and sleep apnea and just started using a machine to help with apnea.  I have high hopes that the machine and an increase in my activity level (walking) will help me with my energy level.  It is quite discouraging to lose 60lbs. and not feel any better.  I understand your frustration!

HW253  SW222  CW153    

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views