post op diet plan by the numbers.. Vets??

jayla_love
on 8/21/12 12:55 pm - CA
VSG on 07/16/12
I know we are supposed to be getting 80-100 grams of protein a day and stay between 600-800 calories and drink 64 Oz of water at least (more if you can get it all in) what is the rest?? carbs? sugar? sodium?

happymom80
on 8/21/12 1:08 pm - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
 This is such a personal issue. Your dr. should give you guidelines....that would be the first place to begin to build up your food plan. 

Most people who do the diet like you're talking about also try to stay below 40 carbs/day.

I did this for a while...but I had to change it up for me. I am now quite comfortable with my food and my weight loss has been progressing nicely. But I also excercise a LOT and pretty intensely too. So I think it depends some on how active you are or become. And then how effective your body is at processing food. And learn to listen to your body's cues - not just hold to hard, fast rules...well, in the beginning yes...but engage your body in the process so you learn your body's needs and cues...so you can tell the difference between true hunger, thirst, head hunger, cravings, etc...and what feelings go along with them. 

I know there are some who adhere to what you're talking about very strictly...but there are others who do not for various reasons. It's about finding what works best for your body too. I mean obvious changes and what not...but just there aren't hard and fast "rules" for everyone to follow. 

I am by far not a VET as of yet...but these are just some things I've learned and read about on here. The diet you're talking about is a good place to start as you figure your stuff out...but be sure to see what your dr. says.

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

debk21
on 8/21/12 6:00 pm - Mansfield, TX
I did just what you spoke of above and tried to stay under 40 in carbs during the losing phase.  I did not track sugar (kinda goes with the carbs so that was a moot point) and didn't track sodium but was mindful of it because it can cause you to retain water.  You are on the right track, but I also encourage you to read your doctors guidelines very carefully.  It is very important to go through the food reintroduction stages and adhere to those very carefully so you do not damage your recently surged tummy.  Your doctor should spell these things out clearly for you.  My guideline booklet was read over and over and kept in my kitchen so I could refer to it often.  Once I had a handle on it and was past the reintroduction phases, I used the guidelines stated above and weighed/measured all my food and tracked it all on FatSecret (many use MyFitnessPal).  I still measure everything and track it all.  I think this is a HUGE key to long term success.  I wish you the best in your journey!!!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views