WOW

Taelor S.
on 9/24/12 12:04 pm - IN
 Found out today that my surgery will FOR SURE be before the end of the year (before our insurance becomes completely useless).  I'm PUMPED but also freaking out because I feel like I have so little time to prepare myself (We're probably looking at early November for surgery).  So, to all you vets... any pearls of wisdom, suggestions, stories, warnings, or ANYTHING you think I should absolutely know?  I honestly just can't believe that this is actually happening!  My biggest fear is slipping back into old habits--- how would you suggest keeping yourself on track?

Thank you so much, everyone, for the advice!

ps......  How do I make a picture small enough so that I can have an avatar?!  SO annoying! :(
Charlotte C.
on 9/24/12 12:59 pm - Fairmont, WV
My biggest concern was that my monthly family doctor visit notes were being faxed to my gastric doctor. I went to an appointment and then called a few days later to ask if it was sent. Then, I called my gastric doctor's office to make sure they received them. I was leaving NOTHING to chance!

Don't bother "stocking up" on foods that you think you'll need after surgery. You'll eat such small amounts that you'll end up wasting money on things that will expire before you can eat them. (yogurt especially). Buy only small amounts when you need them.

I have found that slipping back into old habits is not as easy as you think. I have lost the taste for junk food altogether. I attribute it to the increased protein intake that cuts those cravings for carbs down considerably. HOWEVER, I did have a couple of cream horns the other day because, by golly, I just wanted a couple of cream horns! It'll probably be 6 months before I will want one again. lol I am 4 months out and down 70 pounds. I still only eat about a cup of food at a time. I eat whatever I want (except for chili which makes my stomach ache) I never feel like I'm missing out on anything when eating. Remember for each bite say, "Small and slow."

Congrats on your decision! It is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself! I pray that you'll feel the same!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views