Hair Loss with VSG

Mom_2_4
on 10/12/12 1:15 pm
VSG on 05/22/13
Hi,

I'm just curious, how many of you have had issues with hairloss? and, how long does it last?  I know it's an issue with RNY but I'm wondering if it's as bad with VSG.

Thanks for the info!

Elisa
cece58
on 10/12/12 1:50 pm - CA
 Hair loss can happen with any kind of drastic change to your body. Even stress can cause hair loss. Typically, most people who have rapid weight loss will also lose hair. If you have a lot of hair to begin with, it isn't as noticeable when it falls out. If you have thin hair (like me) it can be pretty bad. I always have a lot of hair loss when I lose weight. I also had chemotherapy for cancer several years ago and lost all my hair. It grows back, but it is annoying. With  my VSG I started losing my hair about 3 months after surgery and it took about a year to grow back. I took lots of vitamins and supplements and now it is actually thicker than before surgery. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

getmylifeback12
on 10/12/12 9:22 pm - NY
I lost a tonnn of hair. It is now growing back. I got a shorter hairstyle, that helps make it look thicker.
I have also noticed that my hair is very dry too, never had that problem before. It will all get back to normal though. I was expecting it though. It helps when its not a total shock. It's still well worth it.
Carmelita
on 10/12/12 9:22 pm - Four Corners, NM
hollirrose
on 10/13/12 12:08 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I am losing quite a bit of hair. I have from about 3 months out and I am about 5 1/2 months out. I have really thick hair so it doesnt really bother me and it is not noticable to others. I thought about posting a picture of what I pull out of my drain every morning...but I havent. If hair loss is a deal breaker for you...dont have wls. If it isnt...then go for it! Heres the deal, I would have given up my big toe to have the weight loss I have had over the last several months (121 lbs). Im just glad the only thing I had to give up is hunks of hair that would grow back anyways! I would look pretty silly in flip flops with no toe. ^_~
MargeAD
on 10/13/12 6:51 am - CA
 I am almost 10 months out and never lost my hair.  I think it has to do with being religious about getting my protein and vitamins in every day.  I am never under 60 grams of protein and currently getting 100 grams.  I used Biotin too but I think that helped my fingernails more than my hair.

Mom_2_4
on 10/13/12 1:37 pm
VSG on 05/22/13
Thanks everyone for the info. It's not a deal breaker for me I just want to be prepared..

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views