Clear liquids 24 hours prior to surgery?

wmubronco03
on 11/26/12 1:22 pm - MI
VSG on 11/30/12
So I was talking to someone who is post op and they mentioned that they could only have clear liquids 24 hour before the surgery. My surgeon (different then her's) hasn't said anything about this (at least that i remember)and when I said so I got a very disbelieving look. Do I need to call my surgeon in the morning? My surgery is Friday.

Linda B.
on 11/26/12 2:23 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I would call the surgeon's office to clarify what type of liquid diet you need the day before. My DH & I had different surgeons (long story, insurance crap), he had to do a full day of clear only, I  could have full liquids for B & L, then clear for D. You want to be sure you are following your surgeon's protocol. Good luck on Friday.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

mickeymantle
on 11/26/12 2:24 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i would most doctors have a pre op diet and a few days of clear liquids, and laxatives to clean out your system, some also give you antibiotics to kill bacteria in your system , call your doctor and find out your requirements

JAlston
on 11/26/12 11:10 pm
VSG on 12/07/12
My surgeon requires clear liquids the day before surgery. She does not require a liquid diet for longer then that. She also does not require any laxatives or anything because she said that research hasn't shown that there are any affects for surgery if the patients colon is clear...so why go through the torture.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

MuttLover
on 11/26/12 11:41 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Definitely check -- 24 hours of clear liquids before any surgery, and nothing after midnight is pretty standard.  I had to go to a pre-op class that went over all the pre-op and post ops rules -- so make sure you haven't accidentally missed out on some pre-op info!

Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views