Got sleeved on Monday and feeling blue. Any words of wisdom for me?

Sleeveless
on 11/29/12 3:16 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Hi friends. I'd like to share my experiences in case it helps other newbies and in hopes that folks might have some advice for me.

I got my sleeve on Monday, and had to spend two nights in the hospital because I didn't get in enough fluids on Tuesday. I was so sleepy from the residual anesthesia that I wasn't awake enough to drink. So, I got sent home on Wednesday.

Overall, things went really very well. I used my pain button once after the surgery, but otherwise, the pain has been very manageable and I haven't had any nausea so far (hurray!). I have had kind of a heartburn feeling if I take too many sips at once, but I get up and walk around, and the sensation dissipates thru burping or passing gas. I have had just a bit of gas pain in my shoulders, but, again, it has gone away easily. Sometimes, I will sip while standing or pacing, and that helps too. I've also been using my spirometer, not regularly, but I haven't neglected it.

Today, I got in 60 grams of protein and 67.2 ounces of fluids, which will probably go up to about 68 or 69 by the time I go to bed. I am aiming for 70 of each in the next few days.

My belly is swollen up with water or gas, not sure what. They weighed me in the hospital and I had gained about five pounds after the surgery. I'm not super concerned about that, as I know the weight will come off with the limited eating I'm doing. I'm doing very gentle walking; I'm not feeling up to going to the gym yet, even to ride a stationery bike.

As for hunger, I have had no physical hunger at all, though I have had some mild head hunger. When I've thought of certain foods, I've felt that it would be nice to eat them, but it's not driving me nuts or anything. I don't feel 100 percent back to my old self in terms of energy, but I do feel a little better each day. On Friday, I'm going to join a business call from home for my consulting work and do a phone interview for a permanent job (I got laid off in early September).

One issue I do have is the memories of how unpleasant it was to be woken up after the surgery. I was overheated, couldn't breathe or inhale well, had a Sahara-desert dry mouth so it was difficult to answer the nurses' questions or tell them what I needed, and was just so exhausted that just lying there was an effort. I hate feeling out of control and miserable, and I dread ever feeling that crummy again.

My other, larger issue that I'm hoping someone can advise me on is that I have been having this lonely, blue, apprehensive feeling. I think it's probably fear of the unknown, coupled with the stress of not having a steady income right now, plus the isolation of not having steady coworkers to see each day. It's probably also the fact that it's the holiday season and the end of the year. I know that I can't change my life for the better without being willing to risk the pain of change. But, I just didn't expect to feel this hollow, frightened feeling.

Did you ever feel this way? Any words of wisdom or encouragement for me?

As always, thanks to my newfound OH community. I don't know what I would do without you!

Brenda777
on 11/29/12 3:22 pm
VSG on 03/19/12

It is very normal to feel depressed after surgery.   I surely did too.  But, let me say... believe me, this is the best thing you have ever done for your life!  Just settle in, be thankful... you are now on the road to a healthier life!  I am SO happy now!

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Sleeveless
on 11/29/12 3:29 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you so much, Brenda! That's just what I need to hear. :-)

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/12 3:46 pm

You are navigating completely uncharted waters, so to speak. I think it is very normal to feel anxious and even frightened of what is to come. I was very worried about complications for a few weeks after surgery. Just focus on relaxing and getting in the groove with your program. I know it isn't easy the first weeks. I remember sitting at home and reading OH obsessively, planning every morsel that passed my lips, experimenting with protein, etc.... This new life takes some getting used to.

Focus on how proud you should be of yourself for taking this step to better your life and quality of your existance. You are a brave soul and should be celebrating that fact. Your happiness will come. You will relax. Just give yourself time. Stay on OH and learn from and take comfort in this great and supportive community.

Sleeveless
on 11/29/12 3:51 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Kairk, I so appreciate your very kind words. I will try to do as you suggest!

mimij
on 11/29/12 7:54 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
Dear Sleeveless
Congrats on a successful surgery. I want to reassure you that I had the same blues after surgery. Lasted about 2 weeks. The dr was beginning to wonder about me because I had the same feelings you describe even tho everything was going well. I had a rough first week with readmit for fever and I oozed enough blood inside that I needed transfusion of 2 units blood. After all of that was over, I couldn't be happy about my successful surgery. Hormones can come into play and this is a major body, mind and spirit change. It is powerful. You will gradually, or maybe one day soon, suddenly snap out if it and you will be happy you did this and you will get excited about your new life. I promise. PM me anytime if you need to vent.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

suzie2241
on 11/29/12 9:38 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

Congratulations on your surgery!  OMG, YES, did I get the blues. I cried, was scared, had moments I asked myself "what the heck did I do?".  It all passed, thankfully.  I'm still adjusting and finding out what works for me (I'm 4 weeks out today).

I have found that each day gets better; physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I hope you feel better quickly.

Cindi A.
on 11/30/12 1:15 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12
Was sleeved on Monday as well. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed by everything I now need to do to heal. So, I get where you're coming from. Also, pain meds and other drugs can affect mood, so that could playing a part. I've yet to feel "happy" about the surgery, but let's face it, it's tough to feel "happy" when you don't feel well. I just keep picturing my post-op friends and how great they feel now, and I know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

This is a very hard part of the journey, let's not kid ourselves. But we'll be dancing for joy soon, and this will be a mere memory. Just keep in touch here and it'll motivate you. (Hugs)

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

goingforit1
on 11/30/12 1:16 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with

I do think that apprehension is normal, along with all the other things going on in your life right now (finances, work situation, holidays, etc) but all I can say is try to keep the BIG PICTURE in your mind!  Here's the big picture:  Your life is improving day by day.  You may not notice it as it's a gradual change and unfortunately weight loss can be slower than we'd like (of course!) but when you look back in 3 months, 6 months, a year...you are going to be so glad for the positive changes!!  I think you've given yourself a gift that nobody else could give you.  Take care of it, do what you should be doing day by day, meal by meal...you will NOT regret it! 

I NEVER thought I'd like exercise but when you are carrying around nearly 100 lbs less it's actually enjoyable! I'm a runner now.  A RUNNER!!  ME!  lol  Find something you enjoy doing that doesn't revolve around food and go after it.  It's a trip to keep your mental self evolving as quick as your body evolves but just try to take good care of yourself.  To others my life probably looks very much like it did 10 months ago except I'm a normal weight now.  TO ME?  I've gained a freedom I've never felt.  I'm free to stop judging myself and worrying about my size in EVERY aspect of my life.  It consumed my every thought all day every day.  Now I'm free to just be me and do what I want to do and not care as much about what others might be thinking of me!

Hang in there!!!

HW: 248  CW: 151  GW: 145

Sleeveless
on 11/30/12 5:19 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Mimi, Suzie, Cindi, and GoingForIt, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful messages. What you say makes a lot of sense. Sometimes, it's nice just to hear some reassurance from other people on the same path. And, I'm so glad you're all feeling good and seeing bright futures. :-)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views