Just a quick question for those with reflux

Auveca
on 12/6/12 12:35 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12
How long post op did reflux or acid problems show up?

acbbrown
on 12/6/12 1:07 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I first started getting symptoms around 2 mo out, but didnt really connect the dots until my stomach started burning around 3 mo. I was just super hungry for a couple weeks and didnt understand why. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/12 1:43 pm

Mine started at 10 days out. It was bad, but it was because of a specific RTD protein shake. Haven't had one since and take a PPI daily so no issue since then.

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/6/12 2:15 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I was on a PPI for my first 3 months. Within a few days of running out I started having problems. I'm on Prilosec now but it isn't 100%. One thing I've learned - a FULL sleeve equals hours of reflux - even with a PPI. Now I try really hard to stop eating before I get near full.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/12 10:24 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

My doc requires everyone to take a PPI for the first 3 months, which I did. Dexilant I think. I stopped at that time and occasionally will get reflux now, mostly shows up when I've laid down too soon after eating, maybe once or twice a week. I just eat a saltine or two and that solves the problem. I know this would be a horrible solution for a lot of people because A.) It's carbs and can be "triggery" and B.) Most people with reflux can't solve the problem with a cracker. But it works for me and where the issue is seldom I'd rather solve it with a couple saltines when necessary and not take an additional medication. 

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/7/12 3:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll try your tip! I'm finding that anytime I overeat at all I'm rewarded with reflux that can last for a day or more. (Gaviscon helps, but only for an hour or so) I'd love to have something as simple as a cracker as my solution.

I also have found that reducing my portions (from tiny to teeny?) helps me. Oatmeal sits well, possibly because it doesn't pack my sleeve, then push upward. We had baked tilapia and broccoli last night - Gaviscon to the rescue. Sigh...

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

nieba
on 12/6/12 11:26 pm - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I had GERD going in and found that at 3 months out now, I have been just slightly worse than before. I am trying a Zantac regimen and if this doesn't work, I will go back to Zegrid in the morning and Zantac at night. That worked.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

beach_mama
on 12/6/12 11:45 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

I was on a PPI for first three months as well.  I bought Zantac and have been taking that for the past month...I have one left and I'm going to see how I do without it.

Summergirl...funny but that's what I do as well...eat a saltine and it really helps.

Auveca
on 12/7/12 2:49 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12
Thanks everyone for your responses. My md does not use a ppi post op, as he says "I wanna see how you tolerate au naturelle". Which is fine, I like that approach. I tried some strained soup yesterday that was a little acidic and since then my sleeve has been a bit angry. Then I thought about this issue and am wondering if the two are related?

Keith L.
on 12/7/12 2:51 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Mine was like 8 hours after surgery. The Doc had to give me something. My acid problems manifest as hunger. I just take a couple Prevacid ever couple of days and I have no issues.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views