Ready to find a fat shrink, for my head I mean. Where do I start?

bigred_z
on 1/2/13 12:34 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I live in Northern KY, Cincinnati area...anyone know of anyone?

What's my first step?  What questions should I be asking?  Any input would be appreciated.

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Keith L.
on 1/2/13 1:01 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My approach will be to find someone who specializes in eating disorders. Not that I have an eating disorder but a therapist who specializes in this will understand how to get to the root of why we eat the way we do and food addictions, etc.

Here is a list of them in Cinci:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?c ity=Cincinnati&county=Hamilton&state=OH&spec=9

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Kusoreo
on 1/2/13 1:16 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12

I found my therapist through my employer's EAP (Employee Assistance Program).  They offer 8 free sessions and since I've been going well beyond that, I just pay my co-pay at each visit. 

Therapy, with the right therapist, is one of the top 3 best investments I've ever made in myself.  Another one is the VSG!

I recommend therapy to everyone...  Good luck!  And remember, shop around until you find someone you click with.  The rewards are so worth it!

~Elizabeth 

5'8"  HW: 296  SW: 284  CW: 184  GW: 160

bigred_z
on 1/2/13 1:33 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Thank you, both of you!  Excellent starts.  Never even considered an EAP program...I am a veteran and work for the VA.  They may have something here. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/2/13 5:00 pm

Here are real specifics:

1.  Number of years of experience...you don't want someone who is brand new

2.  Have they ever worked with someone post surgery...and how do they help people learn the difference between head hunger and physical hunger?

3.  What type of treatment do they do...they may say cognitive, behavioral, etc...probably don't want someone who uses only behavioral therapy because they won't get to the feeling/food issues which will be important for you to learn.

4.  Do they do individual or group therapy...or both?  Many times the combination of the two is most helpful.

5.  Ask them about their outcomes...how successful have they been in helping others.

6.  Make sure to check with your insurance company to find someone on your network.

7.  I would go with a clinical psychologist or a clinical social worker...but that is just my preference.

Hope that helps!!

bigred_z
on 1/2/13 6:55 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

It does Lynn.  Let me ask you, or anyone else who has been to therapy.  How do they help specifically?  I know I mostly deal with head hunger, I want to know how to get RID of it!  Or know about what causes it so I can perhaps work through it with something else like distraction or whatever.  What am I feeding?  Why?  What makes it go away?  What strategies help you guys?

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/3/13 5:24 am

There are all kinds of things a good therapist can help you learn about yourself...like how and why did your overeating start, what are your trigger emotions and what are your trigger foods...for example did you kow that most people eat chips, nuts, and popcorn when frustrated or angry, but eat creamier things when depressed or sad...crunching is a way to express the frustration while creamier foods like cookies and mil**** cream, mashed potatoes are more comforting.    Therapists can help you learn where you learned to overeat...was food used as a reward, did you use it to comfort yourself in times of stress even as a young child, were there other issues that felt out of control in your life and food was the one thing you could control.  Every person is a bit different but many of the issues are similar which is why group therapy can also be helpful.  Hope that answers a few of your questions.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views