So the chick on the news that got fired for being to sexy...

bigred_z
on 1/6/13 12:57 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

WE ARE ALL IN DANGER!!!!!!!!!!  WTF?  Really?  So I lose all my weight and this is what i have to fear now?  DAMMIT!!!  In all seriousness though...as much as we think being fat hurts us in a job interview.  It IS odd to think we can be fired for being too hot. 

At my job, I tell all my co -workers I moonlight as a bikini model.  Everyone gets a laugh as I am 200lbs.  I just tell them, "Hey it's winter...this is my fluffy warm winter weight."  But really, being fired for being too hot is sooooo far removed my my frame of reality...

Your thoughts?

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

LNC62
on 1/6/13 1:03 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

When I get complimented for doing something good at work, my reply is usually, "You didn't just hire me for my stunning good looks." tee hee

I think there's probably something we're not being told about the woman being fired for being too hot. 

bigred_z
on 1/6/13 1:14 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

"Stunning good looks"  THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT i SAY!!!  LOL!!  Too funny!  And yes, I agree that the story is mostly untold.  But really...who woulda thought!  We are all so involved with how FAT affects us.  It never even occured to me that you could be fired for being too hot!!

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Calking
on 1/6/13 1:22 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

If anyone was interested in the story ...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/melissa-nelson -dental-assistant-fired-for-being-irresistible-is-devastated /

My job will not be in jeopardy for this reason now or in the future.  I listened to the story and can understand both sides of the argument but in the end would have to be on her side.  Apparently a marriage was on the line, does that make it ok?  The wife says basically it's her or me.  At least that is how it was reported.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

pineview01
on 1/7/13 7:26 am - Davison, MI

Thanks for the link!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

moonglo82
on 1/6/13 1:23 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Based on what little I have heard of this (literally just seeing your post is all I know, so take this for its face value- next to nothing, probably)...

My initial assumption is that they mean she was dressing too provocatively.  As a high school teacher, this is something I have to be careful about on a daily basis.  I want to look my age (30), and I want to feel confident about the way I look, but I also don't need my 12th graders getting the wrong idea because my skirt is a quarter of an inch too short, for example.  Unfortunately, in certain professions, image is very, very important... if she was dressing in a manner that the company felt did not represent them well, then I guess they felt the need to defend that image. 

I agree, though, that it can be very frustrating to go from feeling like we are being judged unfairly, even in the work place, based on being obese, to all of a sudden having to find the right balance in our new image as we lose.  Of course, this is all dependant on what kind of work one does... 

Again, just my thoughts based on the very little knowledge I have of this incident. 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

moonglo82
on 1/6/13 1:29 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Okay... after reading the article linked in the above response, I have to say that I think this really has nothing to do with her being attractive.  This has more to do with the fact that there were text messages going back and forth between a boss and his employee that were inappropriate... even the ones that were not sexual in nature; sorry, but I wouldn't be texting my boss about my kids, unless I was saying I couldn't come to work because the kids were sick.

I do think, based on the article, that it was unfair that she was fired over this... but I also don't think it's entirely accurate to say that she was fired just because she was attractive either.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

bigred_z
on 1/6/13 1:31 pm, edited 1/6/13 1:39 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I have only heard limited reports myself.  But lets say she dressed to provocatively.  You would be fired for non compliance with the dress code.  NOT being too hot. 

Unsure of the marriage implications...but again, if someone got a hard on for this chick while married to someone else...you cannot blame the hot girl.  You counsel her on appropriate dress code.  You hold the hard guy responsible for being an adulterating cad who wanted to seek comfort outside his marriage bed. Not the hot chick. 

And if inappropriate texts were involved...both parties were at fault.  At that point...she's on her own.  She has no business fraternizing with the married boss.  Nor did he have any business doing the same.   Wrong or right...if two ppl are doing the tango...the boss is gonna win...that's common sense.

moonglo82
on 1/6/13 1:38 pm, edited 1/6/13 1:41 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Agreed 100%.  My only other thought is that the title (at least the one in the link to the article... I've closed it out now so don't remember the exact official wording) is misleading.  It implies that she was really fired JUST for being too attractive; based on the article, that doesn't seem to be the case.

jenlaur1
on 1/6/13 7:41 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

The title for her firing is misleading..she was fired because the dentist didn't think he could keep his pants on with her.  What does that mean though..it sounds like she was being a friend to him but he was thinking ...more.  His wife finds out and says..not good..get rid of her.  He feels bad/guilty..they go and talk to pastor who says..it is bad..get rid or your temptation..so they do.  So, she wasn't being fired for failure to perform her job well but his inability to say that he wouldn't be tempted to start an affair with her.  That isn't fair..but that being said...if I found out my boss had the hots for me and well..being married and loving my husband...I'd leave.  I'd say..give me a good reference and that's that.  See you!  Bottom line..it wasn't handled properly but I don't think any laws were broken...just stupidity occurred.  

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Most Active