Fiber on My Fitness Pal or as part of tracking

stillalb
on 1/7/13 11:11 am

So currently I am 7 wks out and aiming for 40 g or under for carbs and 70 plus for protein and 700 or less for calories. Do you all track your fiber as part of your carbs? I am doing sugar free gummies right now for fiber and feel like I am not getting enough fiber but miss veggies and fruit and don't want to use all my carb grams on gummies. Just wondering how the rest of you track fiber supplements.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

synthangel
on 1/7/13 11:51 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

I track fiber on my fitness pal... I dont subtract from carbs like 'net carbs' or anything like that. But I totally allow myself wiggle room when it comes to fiber. Even though it is a carb, its a good carb and we absolutely need it. We are not going to be losing fast if we are all plugged up.

I get my fiber from v8 high fiber juice. I drink it almost everyday. I work it into my plan. 

I know others may stay away from it because of the carbs and prefer and OTC solution... but I prefer to keep it natural as much as possible. So I'd rather have the extra carbs than take medicine. 

But thats just me! :)

synthangel
on 1/7/13 11:52 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

* I wanted to add the vegetable juice.. I don't drink fruit juices at all.

Gramgal
on 1/7/13 12:06 pm

Hi! I use my fitness pal too and I track my protein, fiber, calories and carbs.  However, I measure all my food and then enter it into MFP.  I am not real concerned with carbs or calories as long as I am following my portion rules.  Fiber is another story.  I am 11 months out so I can eat things that you are not yet able to.  I usually add 1/4 cup of fiber one cereal to 1/2 cup greek yogurt in the morning.  I have also been eating some double fiber bread, seeds and nuts. Even though I can't eat a lot of it, raw veggies are great.   As you are able to add more variety to your diet it will get easier to add more insoluble fiber.  Since my surgery I still take a half a capful of (generic) miralax with my protein/decaf coffee brew every morning.  I know it's not fiber, but it's waxy, effective  and my doctor says its safe.  Good luck on your journey.  Have fun with your new lifestyle.  I am so happy with my sleeve.  I hope you feel the same.

bigred_z
on 1/7/13 8:05 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12 with

My NUT uses net carbs. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/[email protected] 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/[email protected] 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

happyteacher
on 1/8/13 8:50 am

Yes, I do.  Constipation is in issue if I don't routinely stay above 25, and above 30 is better.  I also track iron (I and persistently low), calcium, and sodium.  (Low blood pressure is helped by the sodium.)

When I had a goal of 40 carbs or less, constipation was terrible.  I changed the approach after 2 months. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/8/13 10:37 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Constipation HURTS, so I definitely track my fibre, but I don't use fibre supplements. I aim for at least 20 grams of fibre from food per day - 30 is better. I eat moderate rather than low carb and feel great.

If you read on here for awhile you'll see that although low carb is a popular route, it isn't the only route to success. Calories are the currency of weight loss, not carbs. (That doesn't mean that processed "white" carbs have any place in your diet)

A few high fibre foods worth looking at:
All Bran
Fibre One
Oranges
Asian pears
Broccoli
Flatout Foldits, Flatbread and wraps
SOME breads & wraps - read labels carefully
Flax meal (google flax muffin in a minute)
Lentils
Beans (black, kidney, garbanzo)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

moonglo82
on 1/8/13 10:41 am
VSG on 03/29/12

I don't subtract fiber from my total carbs, but I do allow myself more carbs to make room for fiber... although the majority of my carbs are fiber (usually), so this doesn't end up being too big of an issue for me. 

I'm with the others in this thread, though... I find that I need a certain amount of fiber each day to keep things moving, and constipation is not fun. 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)