Hi, newbie here

chellenunley
on 1/9/13 12:57 am - Corinth , MS
VSG on 07/31/13
Hi, my name is Michelle and I am considering VSG. I have toyed with the idea off and on for several years. At first I wanted the duodonel switch. But my insurance wouldn't cover and my dr strongly advised against. So now, even heavier, I'm desperate. I weigh over 400lbs and want my life back. I'm calling my family dr today to try and get started on the 6 month monitored diet and go from there. Any advise, tips, encouragement and support will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RedStar98
on 1/9/13 1:02 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12

I'm not a vet, at only 3 months out, but I can tell you I had no issues at all, and it was the best decision I ever made, my one regret, like so many others is.. I should've done it sooner.  This is a great support system, so many wonderful people here, even if you only lurk, you can learn so much, I knew things were going to happen before they happened and it was such a big help.  Good luck!!

bigred_z
on 1/9/13 1:09 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

You came to the right place!!  I am an ex bander, now have the sleeve and wish Id have started with it!  You can DO IT!!

Shagdoll
on 1/9/13 1:50 am

Welcome!  I believe you can be successful with the VSG.  We are here for support so keep us posted on your journey!

I would say to do your best on your 6 month monitored diet.  Any weight you lose before surgery is only going to help you.  Those are pounds you wont have to worry about losing once sleeved.  Find a diet plan that works for you.  For me to not feel deprived, I stuck to a low carb plan.

You can do this!!!! mail

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Keith L.
on 1/9/13 2:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You can start with the basics without having the surgery. Sort of adopt the lifestyle and be a maniac about it. Eat protein first and lots of it. I don't know how old you are but if you restrict your calories to say 2250 per day (use My Fitness Pal to track them) and if you focus on protein and vegetables and stay away from high carb foods, that will net out to a lot of food. I will bet you could drop 60 to 80 lbs before you even get started with the processes. And you gotta move. Simple as taking a walk for 30 mins a day (split it to 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins in the evening). 15 mins is nothing, walk to your mailbox and you are 1/3 of the way there.

When I say protein first (and you should do this regardless fo what your meals look like even now), eat all of your meat first. Second eat any vegetables on your plate and then if you still feel hungry eat what ever is left. For one it will slow your digestion and make you full longer. Second your body will be working on processing that protein before it gets to any carbs. As a starting point whatever you put on your plate that has carbs in it (rice, potatoes, bread, etc.) Force yourself leave half of it on your plate. Draw a line through the middle of it and promise yourself that you will only eat half and hold yourself accountable.

Finally its all up to YOU. Regardless of whether you have VSG or not it is still up to you. VSG is just a tool, but that doesn't mean you can't start doing the work now. VSG just makes it easier.

One last piece of advice. Find out WHY you eat the way you do. If you don't it doesn't matter how many surgeries you have you will not be successful. You have to fix your head before you do anything.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MsBatt
on 1/9/13 4:58 am

Why do you see an endocrinologist? Are you diabetic? If you are, most likely you can force your insurance to cover the DS for you, since it resolves diabetes in better than 98% of those who have it. It also has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true of those of us with a BMI greater than 50. And which doctor strongly advised against it?

pineview01
on 1/9/13 8:26 am - Davison, MI

Ex bander here, getting the sleeve.  I would check to see if the insurance will cover the DS.  First you need to find a surgeon that will do it and help you fight for it.

Starting the 6 month with your Doctor is a good start one way or the other.  Some insurance doesn't require it but, if the do your one step ahead.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active