Question on losing too much!!

Shotard
on 1/14/13 12:44 am - LA
I have a question that in my whole life I never thought I would ask!! I am a year and a half out and have lost about 135 pounds. I have been trying to figure out how to stay at this weight for awhile now but I keep dropping a few pounds. Did anyone else have this problem and how do I find that fine line on not gaining but not losing anymore? I feel I am eating enough but am confused on this and don't want to go lower. I know it's a strange question but I am getting concerned. Thank you for any suggestions and help.
rhinorg
on 1/14/13 1:02 am

As with any questions you fine experts and plenty of others to comment, Only you know what weight is right for you and then you settle in to maintain it through training how to eat more but healthy enough not to expand your weight.

Mom4Jazz
on 1/14/13 1:02 am

Yep. Been there, done that. Check out my ticker...and I'm down another pound this week. I have been fighting this battle, slowly upping my calories to numbers that seem awfully scary high.

So, the same thing applies when maintaining as when losing: if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose. If you don't, you won't. Which is another way of saying that no, in fact, you are not eating enough - or at least not eating enough of slightly higher calorie foods.

I would suggest tracking what you're eating on a site like myfitnesspal.com and gradually increasing your calories by 100/day say once every week or two until you stop losing. What I found happens is I raise my calories, the loss stops, my metabolism speeds up and I start losing again. So I end up raising mine about every 3-4 weeks.

You can raise your calories by eating higher calorie foods rather than more food if you prefer - nuts, nut butters, oils, avacados, full fat dressings, 1% or 2% milk or yogurts (not all at once, obviously but any of these will help you add calories).

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Shotard
on 1/14/13 1:32 pm - LA
Thanks ill try that. Hard to eat more so maybe ill try the higher calorie foods and see how that goes. Thank you!
kitsyb
on 1/14/13 3:44 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

I am going through the same thing right now.  I was sleeved on 1/23/12 and have gone about 30 lbs. lower than what I thought my goal would be.  I mentally told myself I would be happy to be 160 lbs.  This morning I weighed 132.  I have been trying to stop losing for several months and find that I do well during the week at work when I am on a schedule but on weekends I don't tend to eat as much so I lose what I gain during the week.  I don't see a lot of others on here complaining about losing too much and I really find it a concern of mine.  I would be happy to stay around 140.  I'm 5'5" and 57 years old.

Shotard
on 1/14/13 1:37 pm - LA
My problem exactly and it does start to worry me. I thought I would by happy with 150 also and then 140 and now I'm 135. I know I'm eating but guess I will try a little higher fat foods and see how that goes.... I am 58 and 5'3". My husband says I have lost too much and I ave a lot of extra skin left over..ahhh. Let me know if you find the magic method!
Thanks
bigmama3
on 1/14/13 3:58 am

This happened to me...i started eating peanut butter (few spoonfuls a day..sometimes with a banana).  Helped keep the weight on (ha ha).  Be careful though...i made sure to weigh myself daily as peanut butter is high in calories and I didn't want to start gaining.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

Shotard
on 1/14/13 1:39 pm - LA
Thanks ill try I love peanut butter!!
Jackie00
on 1/14/13 7:13 am
only wish I had this problem
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Shotard
on 1/14/13 1:40 pm - LA
I never ever thought I would! Strange for sure.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views