Y am I always hungry and crave sweets?? Help!!!

maacjt5
on 1/20/13 4:30 am - IL
Well I was a yr out in oct and have lost a good amount of weight from sleeve. But lately I'm craving more food and sweets! And of course my weight is af a stand still. I keep my protein up but my irons been low and dr put me on iron meds. Please help or ideas of what I need to do and do most ppl go thru this? Thank you! Anita
Keith L.
on 1/20/13 5:56 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am not a medical professional but I would say skip the meds for low iron and increase your consumption of red meat and spinach. That is a much more natural and healthy way to increase your iron.

As for your recent hunger and cravings I would ask what has happened in your life recently that is causing you to seek comfort in food? Could this be an emotional thing? Has something stressed you out at work? Have you had a recent loss? Is something bothering you that could be forcing your hand? Did the holidays make you sad? I think you should look at that before anything physical. If all is good on that front, I would look at the foods you have been eating lately to see if your carb count has increased and could be inadvertently be causing your sweet cravings.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MuttLover
on 1/20/13 7:22 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I am not a doc either, but I would NOT advise you to skip your low iron meds.  Menstrating women can sometimes lose a lot of blood monthly -- more than you can make up in your diet.  Plus, low iron levels make you feel like crap, have no energy and bruise easily.  Sure, get more iron through your foods, but I think if you doc thought you could up your iron enough through food, he would have given that advise.

On the iron front -- look for iron carbonyl -- it has the reputation of being the most easily digested -- and I, the queen of queasy, can take it just fine.

Low iron can make you feel really tired, and you may be thinking that if I just have some more food and some quick energy food, so you'd feel better. 

You didn't mention what your current food -- protein and carb -- intake is now.  If you are grazing on carby foods, or have added in a few bites of rice, pasta and potatoes here and there, those could be triggering your cravings.  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active