3 weeks post op and overwhelmed!

laDeelila
on 1/21/13 10:35 am - NJ
I have been doing ok. I some days better than others. It is still a task to eat and drink. I haven't really done much except for walking and occasional social visits with friends. I am super nervous to start classes tomorrow. I am still trying to figure out how to get in fluids and protein and I gotta get my head in the game and set up a plan. I know it's not that complicated but I'm driving myself nuts right now! I have no clue what I'm going to do when I start work. Night shift is rough and I'm just seeing it now, Brain explosion!

'Deneen

Excited and thankful to be on this rollercoaster of a journey!

shrinking_sarah
on 1/21/13 10:50 am - CA

I'm pretty close to where you are (Dec. 28).  When I get overwhelmed with getting it all in, I just drink my protein.  I know my dr. wants me to eat it, and I try to, but really, at 6g for a single egg, it seems like a waste of time.  I try to eat at least 2 "real" things a day, but all the rest of my protein is in liquid form right now, and those liquids count toward my fluids, thank goodness.  I'm looking forward to eating fish soon, because at least that will have a better amount of protein.

I had a cold last week and took a day or two off of eating because I figured my body needed the fluids anyhow.  My dr. was ok with that.

Just carry a water bottle everywhere, and take along some drinkable protien.  Premier protien drinks from Costco are my best friend right now.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Tami1982
on 1/21/13 1:49 pm

A less expensive option that I've found for protein is milk with powdered milk and protein mixed in.  1 cup of milk has 8 grams, mix in 1/3 cup of powdered milk it now has 16.  Put in a scoop of protein (I like Unjury strawberry parfait) and it has 37 grams.  That's what I drink for breakfast to get me started on the protein.  I can get that in pretty quickly, 10-15 minutes. and then I don't have to try quite so hard the rest of the day if I'm not feeling it.  Plus, it's much less expensive than premade drinks. 

jarabacoagirl
on 1/21/13 2:30 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

That's all well and good but both regular milk and powdered milk each have 13 carbs per serving.  That's 26 carbs at once seems high since it's recommended only between 40 to 60 a day. 

But yes it's cheaper that's true. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Tami1982
on 1/21/13 3:51 pm, edited 1/21/13 3:52 pm

It works for me:)  I can't do the premixed shake things.  They all taste sickly sweet to me and I tend to get headaches from the artificial sweeteners.  I don't have any issues with the milk sugar though.  I am trying to switch to raw organic protein off the unjury, it's a process.  I try to avoid artificial things and chemicals if I can.   I don't count carbs anymore - since surgery my blood sugars have been awesome.  Just  watch my protein and try to keep things in balance:)  But so many years of diabetic training mean that I eat little carb outside of the milk anyway, so it works out pretty even. 

laDeelila
on 1/21/13 2:47 pm - NJ
I can't reallt stomach all that milk, but I do mix the non fat dry milk in with sf hot choc or coffee. Im just going to have to suck it up and keep the fluids handy.
laDeelila
on 1/21/13 2:52 pm - NJ
Yea! I have to get those rtds. We have a sams club which is similar to costco that sells them. I just have to get a membership. They are convenient. I keep forgetting about them. Thanks!
Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/21/13 10:58 am

I don't know if this will help you...but here is what I did...I got my courage up and started posting in the "whatcha eating today"...even though I eat pretty much the same thing every meal...I am committing to those meals..and the fluids...I don't want to report I didn't get it done...lol.  Then I set an alarm on my phone to remind myself when it is time to eat, when it is time to snack and even how long I have to wait after eating to start drinking and I challenge myself to get so much fluids before the next time I eat.  It has really worked for me even though I find it hard at times to get in my fluids.  Posting every day has made a difference and when I stalled for four days....which I know isn't much...I listened to what the vets said and increased my fluid and protein even more and boom that stall was over.  Hang in there...it takes time to adjust.  

grannymedic1
on 1/21/13 10:19 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

When I am going to be out and about for the day I mix a double shake. I like the Syntrex Fuzzy Navel so I take a 20 oz. bottle, put some water in, add two scoops of the powder and 1 small packet of Crystal Light orange what ever. I add the rest of the water and shake. It is very good and gives me 46 g. of protein. I tend to sip on it through out the day with water in between. I also take water bottles in a little insulated cooler/lunch box thing. When you are further out you can pack up little baggies of what you need.

Don't worry about carbs so much as long as they are high quality ones. Those won't affect you like the other kind. My nut went so far as to order me to mix in the powdered milk to my shakes and anything else I could, milk too. Mine encourages me to call or email her with questions like that.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Machelle.K
on 1/21/13 11:40 pm - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I plan my meals/snacks each week and make ahead all the food I plan to consume. This process tends to keep me on track, I'm not sure if you can but while I walk a lot a work, I carry water with me to help me get all that in too. Once I had a clear plan of eating I made sure to modify this into my schedule, though I can't always eat when I'm scheduled it's pretty close and my work has been supportive. My body seems to know that food is due but hands in there if there is a delay. Good Luck!

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views