I have reflux...NOW

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/21/13 9:26 pm

So I am seven weeks post surgery...I have had no reflux and for the last two nights I have woke up with horrid reflux...like stab me in the chest reflux....I have not changed what I am eating...has this happened to anyone else..and yes I am taking my ppi regularly...but in the mornings...it's like I am having "breakthrough" reflux before I wake up and can take my daily dose.  Is this possible?

desertmom
on 1/21/13 9:39 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi
How long before you go to bed do you eat?

At the end to prevent this I have had to eat even earlier and,I know not everyone is in favour of this,but I take half of my nexium at night and half in the morning.It works like a bomb for me.

You have to maybe contact your dr and ask them what you should do.

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/21/13 9:43 pm

I changed this week to eating absolutely nothing after 8 PM...but maybe I could try taking half my PPI in the AM and half at night.  That is a good idea.

rhinorg
on 1/21/13 9:41 pm

Never had it....it too shall pass.  I m sure you will get plenty of expert views.

MuttLover
on 1/21/13 9:52 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I am a long-time (pre-op) reflux sufferer -- but I never had the typical night problem you described until post op.  I already take 40 g of Nexium 2X a day (that was my pre-op dosage) -- so when I have a problem at night, which I need right after surgery and very rarely now -- I have Pepcid AC Complete.  I got a big bottle at Sam's.  So when I wake up with that problem in the night, a Pepcid usually does the trick!

I also find that I can't eat too close to bedtime -- like within three hours, or it's worse.  I've been sleeping with extra pillows around, so if I have a little acid attack, I take the Pepcid AC and go back to bed, but prop myself up a little. 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

MeSkinny8
on 1/21/13 11:06 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

After VSG I had a bad case of GERD.  So, now I take protonix extended release with apple sauce once a day. 

nieba
on 1/21/13 11:37 pm - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I have been a long time sufferer of GERD pre and post op. I find that sometimes I have to take a Zantac before I go to sleep or I will wake up in the morning with an acid throat. I take my PPI regularly as well. Taking half your PPI at night will probably help as well, but a Pepcid or Zantac at night could also help you. But I would also check with your doctor.

Good Luck.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

Most Active