Who has had the flu? Please help :(

D. Scott
on 1/27/13 12:35 am
RNY with
Ok so Ive been up with the flu and its been awful. For hours I have been heaving painfully, very little comes up each time. I also have awful diarrhea. Now I'm super weak with a terrible headache (probably dehydration). How do I rehydrate when even tiny sips of water make me nauseous all over again? Have any of you had the flu?

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

MomofMarch
on 1/27/13 1:15 am - GA

Ugh I'm sorry you're feeling so bad! If you aren't able to keep any fluids down, you need to go to the ER to get an IV. We get dehydrated easily and it's EXTREMELY hard to catch up. They can also give you anti nausea meds. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

mickeymantle
on 1/27/13 1:18 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

call you doctor maybe he can give you meds to help you

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Jackie T.
on 1/27/13 1:35 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am very afraid I am going to be in the same boat this week.  My son was sick Friday, my daughter is sick today.  I am trying to drink as much as I can.

I hope you feel better soon!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Laci M.
on 1/27/13 1:49 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I had the flu a few weeks ago and it was horrible.  All I can suggest is seeing your doctor (for possible meds) and to keep sipping as much as you can.  I had to let it run it's course because the meds they gave me were too darn sweet, which made me throw up.  

Have you tried any other liquids than water?  Maybe chicken broth would help.  That's considered a liquid.  

IHeartMexico
on 1/27/13 2:00 am
VSG on 01/21/13
I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I would encourage you to go to your urgent care . The flu is more respiratory - you sound like you have some form of a mean bug that is more stomach related .

Please keep us posted on your Heath - sending prayers for a speedy recovery !

Christine

moonglo82
on 1/27/13 2:03 am
VSG on 03/29/12

Definitely get to a doctor ASAP.

Also, when you say water, do you mean actual h2o, or fluids in general?  Can you try sports drinks, maybe Powerade Zero or something along those lines? Popsicles, even? 

My husband had it a few weeks ago, but he's two years out from his vsg so what worked for him probably won't help you as much... just get to a doctor and do what you can to stay hydrated.  Feel better!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

sheranfour
on 1/27/13 3:54 am

Hi!

As an infection control nurse I can tell you this is not "the flu"...mostlikely it's  Norovirus. This comes on quick...vomit diarreah for 2 days, sometimes with fever...knocks the wind out of your sails. More severe cases can last 3-4 days...but unusual. the biggest complication IS dehydration...so sips/popsicles/even ice cubes made out of electrolyte drinks works really well. Most folks who are compromised will need IV fluids...so watch that. You'll feel better soon...but it's very contageous...so wash hands often...and instruct others around you to do the same.

Hope it passes soon!!

Peace

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
busboss1
on 1/27/13 10:40 am
VSG on 12/18/12

Three weeks ago, I had the same thing for about 18 hours. It had only been 3 weeks since I had the surgery. I called my surgeon and he had me come in once my stomach calmed down for fluids at the same hospital where I had the surgery. It took about 4 hours to get 2 bags of fluid and a bag of vitamin fluids. I hate to say it but I felt bad for about 3 days. I had a headache also from the dehydration. I couldn't even take in ice chips but I kept doing it anyway. Just keep telling yourself, this too, shall pass. It will.  

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Scandrona
on 1/27/13 11:33 am - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12

I'm sorry you have the flu :-(

What helped me when I had it and was dry heaving (ugh!  worst thing ever with a little tummy!!)  was that I poured a glass of 7-up and let it go flat and drank that.  It was the only thing I could keep down.  I tried plain water but it just came right back up. 

Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon!

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

Most Active