Am I "fixed"? NO

momsy55
on 2/4/13 4:08 am - ME

This weekend, my husband found a memory card from one of our cameras, and put it into the computer.  There were hundreds of photos, and some videos.  One video in particular was from my youngest daughter's 6th birthday party, which was 2 months prior to my surgery.  I don't think I knew I was being filmed, or I would have dodged the camera.  Oh my goodness - what a dose of reality I got!  I knew I was large, but seeing myself that way was quite an eye opener.  I got a bit upset about how awful I looked.  My husband's comment was that I fixed the problem.  However, I didn't "fix" anything.  At almost 18 months out, I still need to work hard every day at maintaining the weight loss.  I need to eat a certain way, choose not to eat certain foods, and key into what's going on in my head, when all I want to do is eat.  I don't see those things changing, ever.  I can't think of myself as "fixed" or I will get "broken" again!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Sleeva
on 2/4/13 4:26 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
True that... it is a lifestyle change that is life long!!!!
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

momsy55
on 2/4/13 5:03 am - ME

It is a lifestyle, and for the most part, the changes are now second nature.  BUT, I can't get complacent or I'll be in trouble!

gorditabonita
on 2/4/13 4:55 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

AMEN! Obesity is a disease, much like alcoholism......it's with us for life.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

momsy55
on 2/4/13 5:06 am - ME

You are so right!  I have to remember that I am an addict, who is in remission, not cured.  I'm okay with that reality as I am so much happier and comfortable in my skin now.   But I know I have to work at it every day and not let my guard down, or the disease will come back, stronger than ever! 

deziree63
on 2/5/13 4:53 am
VSG on 12/03/12 with
On February 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM Pacific Time, momsy55 wrote:

You are so right!  I have to remember that I am an addict, who is in remission, not cured.  I'm okay with that reality as I am so much happier and comfortable in my skin now.   But I know I have to work at it every day and not let my guard down, or the disease will come back, stronger than ever! 

This is perfectly-said. Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/13 5:29 am

It is very nice to read a post such as yours. What you write is the absolute truth. It is work - every day - to make sure that we maintain our weight loss. It is a new way of living for many of us and seems hard, but I am told that it does get easier.

My father has never been overweight (okay a few pounds here or there, but overall a very fit old man!) and at 83 still works at maintaining his weight. It's just that for him it is second nature. For me, not so much yet. I still have to "work" at it!

Thanks for such a great, honest post!

momsy55
on 2/4/13 6:47 am - ME

A lot of it has become second nature to me, except the fact that my food demons wait for me to let my guard down and then pounce.  So, second nature is great, but I can't confuse it with complacency.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/4/13 5:38 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Very true. There is no fix or cure for this...it may be in remission but we have to stay on our toes or else it will come back with a vengence. I am viewing this as a forever kinda thing. I actually never want to eat more than 2.5 oz ever again!!! LOL! Even on these ridiculous amounts of food I am still feeling like I am eating a lot! It wasn't like that at first but now I feel like my new normal is a lot. We are never fixed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

momsy55
on 2/4/13 6:51 am - ME

It's funny, in my OA days, the thought of 'for the rest of my life' was overwhelming and scary.  Now, it gives me a sense of hope and freedom.  As long as I recognize, every day, what got me to 300 lbs., and what it takes to stay at a healthy weight, I can do this day in and day out, if I'm honest with myself.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views