Help! Turkey meatballs & cheese

hope2013
on 2/12/13 12:02 am - Philadelphia, PA
I could start puréeding my food starting Friday...I will b using chicken & broth to start...however, I would like to alternate using meatballs & maybe some low fat cheese. The issue...I don't have a clue what brand is good for me or what his much protein to look for. I am counting on the OH vets to help me along this step of my journey.
There is a BJ's & Sams club in my area...all input is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.
MomofMarch
on 2/12/13 12:06 am - GA

I use any brand of low fat cheese. Fat free cheeses don't melt well and taste like plastic to me. It's all going to be based on your tastes. The cheeses I use have 6-7 g of protein per serving. I have been using My Fitness Pal to look up the nutrition content of almost everything I eat. You can look up meats, poultry, almost anything really.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

daniparis
on 2/12/13 12:20 am - Richardson, TX

This is a copy/ paste from a post/ thread from yesterday: ( I thinks Sam's has similar turkey meatballs like Costco..if not, they can be found at your grocery store) :)

I was supposed to do pureed foods for 2 weeks...BUT got "cleared" today ( Yay!)for soft foods based on how well I am doing.

I have had no bad reactions, feeling so blessed with a smooth recovery!

I had no problems w/ the pureed foods, My saving grace was these pre-made turkey meatballs from Costco- 6 grams of protein each!

I would add these to the magic bullet with some canned gravy ( served over 1 oz instant mashed potatoes made w milk and protein powder), Tomato basil soup, cream of mushroom soup, ricotta, black bean soup & melted cheese...everything was yummy.

I also do tofu in yellow coconut curry pureed w/ steamed carrots & broccoli- yummy!

Also did: soft scrambled eggs, mashed & blended Morning Star breakfast "sausage"- (10 gm protein each patty...just cook lightly so they are soft), Greek yogurt,

The pureed part was by far the easiest of the liquid stages.

This website is a great place suggestions and support.

Warning- the first few weeks post-op are a challenge..there is pain, weird liquid diets, food cravings, Bodily-function Plumbing issues, gas ( gas ex strips will be your best friend the first few days)...but if you know that, and can prepare mentally, and do all your walking and sipping..hopefully you will be blessed with a smooth recovery, I am in week 5, and I have not felt this good...or looked this good in years!

It was all worth it!

mary d
on 2/12/13 12:22 am

I don't know about any of the brands.  If you'd like I can give you a recipe that is pretty easy.  You can cook them in broth and that would be really yummy.  As far as cheese goes, you can use a hard type of parmesan or similar.  These have less fat and you can use a lot less and get more flavor for less.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

hope2013
on 2/12/13 12:34 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thank you! Thank you all!!! Yes! Send recipes..... I need all the help I can get. 

hope2013

mary d
on 2/12/13 12:56 am

Low carb meatballs

½ lb ground turkey or any type of lean ground meat. I like a mix of beef and pork.

1 oz of grated parmesan

1 egg

1 tsp dehydrated onion or onion powder

½ tsp dehydrated garlic or garlic powder

Couple of sprinkles of salt and pepper

1 T. parsley or more. I use fresh minced Italian parsley, but you can use dried

If you want to make them softer without adding bread, put some fresh mushrooms through the food processor and add them.

Mix all of this up in a mixing bowl, don’t be afraid to use your hands. Form them into meatballs. Start with them a little flat then as your roll them between your palms gradually move your palms father apart and they will get round. Put a little olive oil on your palms before you start.

Drop them into simmering chicken broth, I prefer low sodium, because you can always add more salt. Cover, simmer for at least an hour. When you don’t add bread, they will not be as tender, but when you mash them up, use enough chicken broth to make them moist.

When you get a little further out, add some fresh spinach and a beaten egg with parm cheese and you will have a delicious soup.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

maggienoella
on 2/12/13 1:06 am
Thanks for the recipe.
hope2013
on 2/12/13 1:39 am - Philadelphia, PA

I am going to try this! Thank you for the recipe. 

hope2013

Most Active