Fluids 1 week out

foolishgrrl_1
on 3/18/13 2:12 am
VSG on 03/11/13

How much/fast are/were you able to drink your fluids at 1 week out?  Example, my unjury chicken soup I can drink a 12 oz mug inside 20-30 minutes without adverse effects.  However, when I switch to my crystal light, it takes real effort and hours to get 12 oz down.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Jackie T.
on 3/18/13 2:17 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You will have to experiment with what works for you.  Some do better with warm liquids and others do well with cold liquids.  One day something might work for you and another day it might not.  Just sip, sip, sip.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

tlpldy
on 3/18/13 2:21 am

I couldnt' get down anything cold with any kind of speed for several months.  Warm liquids have always gone down more quickly for me.  I found that after a meal that my new tummy didnt' like and made me hurt, a warm cup of tea would help to ease the pain some. 

My issue at your stage was that i couldnt finish anythign while it was still hot, lol.  I started making things and putting them hot into a small thermos, carrying that around the house with me to drink. 

I agree with the previous advice though...just keep trying different things until you find what works for you and your new sleeve. 

tlpldy
on 3/18/13 2:23 am

let me add......I was no where near feeling like being on the computer or coming here to the website one week out.  If you feel that good already, you will come through just fine.  It is just a learning process. 

I finally had to tell my family....reminders are fine, if you notice I am eating too fast, or the wrong things, but for me this is a learning process, I have to figure out what works for me in this new life.  You will find your fit, and it will work out. 

foolishgrrl_1
on 3/18/13 2:33 am
VSG on 03/11/13

Thanks for the advise, I have always been a tea drinker and actually forgot that I bought some decaf! I will try my tea today instead of the crystal light.

I feel well, I tried to not take any pain meds yesterday, but it didn't end well.  I've been living in my binder and taking it easy.  The last few days, I've been getting out of the house and moving my body (eg. shopping). I putz the house, but def do a lot of relaxing, yesterday I had a weird bad feeling, but overcame it.  I had family in town last week, which helped me but this week, I hope I don't go stir crazy!  I plan on checking out the gym in our building and just doing some light walking  this afternoon.  I think my credit card will appreciate the break. lol

vogue
on 3/18/13 4:08 am
VSG on 08/30/12

it went back & forth for me....  some days only hot beverages, others had to be ice cold....   then even some days only room temps....  I couldnt drink 12 ounces in 30 minutes so you are doing better than me....   took me about 8 weeks to start meeting my fluid goals

foolishgrrl_1
on 3/18/13 4:24 am
VSG on 03/11/13

It's only with the chicken soup, weird.  I just brewed a fresh cup of decaf earl grey, wish me luck.  I had such a hard day yesterday to get anything down.  I kind of scared myself.  It looks like you are doing great now! 

vogue
on 3/18/13 4:37 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On March 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM Pacific Time, foolishgrrl_1 wrote:

It's only with the chicken soup, weird.  I just brewed a fresh cup of decaf earl grey, wish me luck.  I had such a hard day yesterday to get anything down.  I kind of scared myself.  It looks like you are doing great now! 

I have good days & bad...  yesterday, for example....  I forgot & drank a large glass of water a bit too soon after eating lunch... I can usually get away with waiting 20 minutes instead of 30...  yesterday I hadnt waited even 10....   Off to the toilet I went... and up came lunch...  and I was nauseated for the rest of the day which led to me not making my calorie goals...

Take your time...  you may not be able to go as fast as others... it wasnt until 12 weeks that I progressed to soft foods where some folks were back on regular diets by then...

drink often, even if it is just sips...before you know it you will be drinking oucnes & glasses...

Most Active