7 months post op and acid reflux

Teresa J.
on 3/19/13 10:33 pm - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with

I am 7 months post op and the last three nights I have woken up with acid reflux.  Not severe just bothersome.  I take 20mg of Famotidine twice a day and I had not had any reflux symptoms since surgery.  The only thing that has changed regarding fluids or food is I started using the liquid Crystal Light that you add to your water this past weekend.  Has any one else experienced an increase in reflux several months post op?  Am I taking the right kind of PPI or should I take something different or more per day?  Any advice would be great.

Teresa

MuttLover
on 3/19/13 10:54 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Sometimes drinks with citric acid (lemonade, etc) increase my acid (pre and post op).  So eliminating the Crystal light would be the quickest way to see if it's the cause.

Also look at the of day when you have your last meal/snack.  I've found that I really can't eat anything for about three hours before I go to bed or I have a "bothersome" bit of reflux at night -- also, I sleep with an extra pillow, so I am not laying flat -- that helps keep the stomach acid in your stomach.

If none of that helps, then talk to your doc about another PPI.  But since Prevacid and Prilosec are OTC, you could always just change, but I'd try diet first.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Nanato2
on 3/19/13 11:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Try and not eat anything 2 hours before you go to bed and if you are drinking fluids try not to have the crystal light in your water. Acid reflux is always worse at night time especially if you have eaten or drank something. Try and also elevate your head while sleeping.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 3/20/13 1:27 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I like crystal light...they really help me get my 70 oz of water in...some days straigh****er just doesn't go in!!!  I have found that some flavour give me heartburn more than others.  Any citrus flavouring is harder on my stomach.  I have recently discovered the arizona green tea water flavouring.  Those are much easier and have no sugar or calories either.

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Jandlsmom
on 3/20/13 3:23 am - IN

i cannot drink crystal light or any other add to water drink mix.  It gives me raging heartburn.  I'm not on any ppi's, as long as I avoid those drinks I have 0 reflux.  Makes me a bit sad as I love crystal light. lol

Most Active