Slipping back into bad habits!

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 6:47 am - NJ

Hi all! So I'm almost three months out and have been slipping back into bad habits. A friend came home to visit and I decided to have some drinks with her and a few friends to celebrate. You have to understand that social drinking has always been a part of our lifestyle for years. We were the group of friends that always got together at a local bar or restaurant. Probably because we were restaurant workers ourselves. It is only that, (social drinking) There is no drinking at home by myself or need it to sustain an addiction.  I really just wanted to feel like I was back into my social circle again, especially since I am recently single and bored.

The drinking wasn't the problem, it was the protein bar compensation and the carb monster kicking my ass! The day after drinking, I was sooooo hungry that I craved carby things and chocolate. So I thought I was doing ok by using a chocolate protein bar to cut the craving but keep my protein on track.

Now I am in a stall and find myself eating more in general plus more carbs than usual. I'm not really going over my amounts but the food choices are not helping my hunger!

It's really messing with my head! Just wanted to share because some people ask about drinking and I have always read about calories and addiction transfer, but there is the aspect of causing increased hunger and cravings that really disrupt your weight loss journey. I think I will save the drinking for special occasions like a yearly wedding..... if that LOL!

Now how to get out of this stall.......

'Deneen

Excited and thankful to be on this rollercoaster of a journey!

Shagdoll
on 3/26/13 6:59 am

I was a social drinker before surgery too.  I'm glad to hear you recognize that it's too early for you to be drinking only 3 months out of surgery. Yes it can be a transfer addiction but it will most certainly hinder anyone's weight loss.  Speaking from experience, you most definitely want to make the most out of the beginning months because it will get a lot harder down the road.  Whenever I drink, I get the munchies so the two don't work for me.  I've tried to leave it for special occasions but it can get out of control.  Drinking & munching in social setting is fun & it makes us feel like a part of society again.  Try your best to hold off until you reach goal.  I know that seems a long time away but I think you will be glad you did. 

I was still eating very small portions at 5 months out but I started to cave into carbs & sweets since that time was during the holidays.  I thought it was cool that I lost 7 pounds in Dec. 2011 because I was eating whatever I wanted.  In Jan. 2012 I lost zip.  I realized I had to make some changes fast.  I decided to follow Elina & frisco's plan of 600-800 calories a day & it helped me get to my personal goal.  Believe me, I know it's hard to not have a social drink once in a while but the social settings will still be around when you reach goal.  But like you said, if you feel the need to do it once in a great while then just try to plan for it & be aware that the alcohol might trigger some other cravings.  Best of luck to you!  

Jenn  

WWBD?  

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 7:09 am - NJ

Thanks Jenn! Yes I definitely think I will be sipping on the coffee or tea while my buddies are drinking. You are right, it is not worth the trouble. The dehydration hangover is worse than ever. I took me half the week to get my body back on track and hydrated.

Well I guess you learn from your mistakes!

Shagdoll
on 3/26/13 7:14 am

OMG, the dehydration is the worst, lol!!!

BUT not sure the coffee will satisfy you in a social setting where your friends are drinking so maybe you can just try to switch up the fun to where you can call go for coffee instead of a bar... at least for now my friend.  Heck, I hated coffee before surgery now I like it a little too much!!!  I guess I was able to find something that worked for me during that time.  I want so bad for all my fellow VSGers to succeed.  You are beautiful & deserve this time to make it happen.  Work that sleeve gurl, you will be sooo happy you did!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

kitsyb
on 3/26/13 7:10 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

You could also just be under a normal stall.  I stalled at the 25 lb., 50 lb. and 75 lb. mark.

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 7:57 am - NJ

Good point

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 7:13 am - GA

I'm right there with you. I went out with a friend a few weeks ago and had a couple drinks. It started the whole ball rolling, just like you said. I had to "detox" myself of carbs and sweets. It's not impossible, but it does suck. I learned my lesson from it because it took a WHILE for those pounds to come off afterwards.

I understand the feeling of wanting to be in the social scene and having a good time. If the drinks were the trigger for you, it's best to stay away from them until you are in maintenance. After my girlfriend saw what I went through the following weeks, she "banned" me from drinking. Every time I say I want a drink, now, she tells me that I may want it, but I'm not gonna have it. lol If you have to let your friends in on the details, do it. It really helps to have someone close to you that has your back in those situations.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Rubielee
on 3/26/13 7:21 am - OR
VSG on 02/14/13

Hi Ladies..I've been tempted so much lately to have drinks with friends, even took a sip of somones ****tail and thankfully it burned my stomach so turned me off.   But oh is it hard..just because of the social aspect like you said.  So, far when I do go out, I bring my 32oz water bottle with me and man do I drink that fast haha.  It's like I need to keep up with them by downing water.  Silly I know!  Now that the nicer weather is here, and this one is getting married and that one is having a birthday and oh lets have a bbq..UGH!!  I'm single, getting slimmer and want a ****tail!  But I want to be thin more, so I will chug (not really) the water.  Glad to know I'm not alone in this one!

laDeelila
on 3/26/13 8:13 am - NJ

Good for you for sticking to it! I thought I was the exception lol. I'm glad I know now before all of that summer fun comes along.

EmpressLynneBN
on 3/26/13 7:31 am - AZ
VSG on 12/20/12

It seems like an common theme... I am three months out as well.  I had friends staying with me in my home, and the first thing they did when they arrived was buy beer and liquor.  We went to the bar (3 bars) and ate out (which has become one of the things is dislike the most since surgery.)  Since that visit I have found myself incorporating things into my diet that are not part of the plan yet ( breads, grains, and the weigh****chers yogurt/whip cream pie recipe.)  Before that time the biggest cheat I have had was to crumble 1 tortilla chip over my white chicken chili...  Sad to say but it was like a starting line for me in the wrong direction.  I had a couple of days I was eating over my desired amount, and was stalled, but I regrouped, and I think I am close to being back on track.  The odd thing is that I didn't drink very much alcohol, in fact I was the designated driver for the weekend, but being in the environment triggered me to order bar food, and peruse the menu, and do what used to make me feel comfortable.  I wasn't told that we could drink before 1 year until I went to my 2 month appointment.  It was a surprise to me, one that I could have probably done without.  I have gone back to eating what I was allowed at my 2 month appointment (for the most part- I have added 1 day of whole grain to help boost my fiber intake) and I have dropped 3 lbs this week.  I am glad to know there is never a lost cause situation and I can reset.

Most Active