Im NEW please READ!

Janette Rodriguez
on 4/4/13 5:28 am - San Antonio, TX

My name is Janette, I would put all these things about my amazing life but no :P not sure how all this works, but ill skip to the questions you can always send me a message, comment[: im 19 btw.

Im APPROVED! :D

Surgery date is April 15th about 11 days away! :D

Soooo excited! Cant believe its true!

But I am a constant worry bug. Worry about simple things that drive me NUTS! But you see I have been attending the 4 months supervised diet and going through all the loops and FINALLY its all over now just awaiting surgery. So if i sound a little mixed up maybe cause i am a little nervous never "bloged" before ;P but every time i google something it sends me to this place and you guys have lot in common with me. I am so very young and other than family and friend support I could use some from people who have been through it as well.

Question

#1 : I have drank some very strong pills to lose weight strong enough that i might fail a drug test. Will my doctor worry about that. ? (haven't shared this with my doctor)

#2 : I have cheated a little while waiting for approval and now that I am approved I am sure I have gained weight from where I have lost in the first place to meet one of the requirements, for insurance. Since when I first went to my first appointment I weighed 298 requirement for insurance was lose 10 pounds, i lost 12. Is it okay to just get down to 288?  How much weight do I expect to lose the next 11 days on pre op diet?

#3 : Like I said before I am a big worry bug! So I have always had un protected sex with the same person, and never no baby. Probley the most un responsible thing I could do!):  So now that I got approved I am worried I might come out pregnant at the last minute! Ugh!/: even though i KNOW i will not become pregnant. I am just soo nervous! And scared!

Don't want to sound crazy, not at all. Just have allot of questions, and feel that this is the perfect place to blog about.

angieg0410
on 4/4/13 6:37 am - OK

1st of all - take a pregnancy test and stop having unprotected sex.  Just because you haven't gotten pregnant yet doesn't mean you won't/can't.  

2nd - tell your doctor what medications you have taken.  Keeping that kind of information from him could be life threatening.  

3rd - I would guess that now that you are approved, the loss won't matter.  Just do your best on the pre-op diet and NO CHEATING..

Please be sure you are following the instructions your dr has laid out for you.  Even little careless mistakes can cause big problems.

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

Janette Rodriguez
on 4/4/13 7:25 am - San Antonio, TX

Yes I appreciate your advice. And to sex. NEVER would I have un protected sex again! I want to change, start all over. I was to have a family some day but not now. Im ready for change! I am staying strong and going to do WHATEVER I have to do to reach my goal. And as for the medication, you know what I will tell my doctor. Thanks so much!

Jackie T.
on 4/4/13 6:45 am, edited 4/4/13 6:48 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

First of all welcome!  Second you need to be honest with all of your doctors on any medication you have taken and/or are taking.  You are going to go through a major surgery and they need to know your health situation so that you hopefully do not have any drug interactions. If you can not trust your doctors with this information then you are not ready for this surgery.  You have not indicated how long ago it was so it may not matter but you need to tell them.  Stop taking any medication that your doctor does not know about.

#2  Every person is different on how much they will lose on the pre op diet.  You need to get back on the plan and follow your doctor's instructions.  Again, if you can't do this then you are not ready for this surgery.

#3 You need to use some kind of birth control.  There are many stories on this site where women have become pregnant, some trying and some not.  As you become healthier, your fertility will likely shoot up and you do not want to become pregnant for a while.

I am not trying to be harsh and I commend you for posting your questions.  I too worry about things that are out of my control but all of these things are within your control.  You need to be ready to work your program and eat a high protein, low carb diet, drink lots and lots of water and to start moving and this will probably be for the rest of your life.  If you are ready to make this committment, not cheat by eating the wrong foods, then you are ready for this surgery.  If you can not say this then you need to wait and get your head in the right frame of mind.  This surgery is just a tool and if you don't work your tool then you will ultimately put back on the weight that you lose.

Good Luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Janette Rodriguez
on 4/4/13 7:30 am - San Antonio, TX

Jackie.

I want this so bad. I want to change my life. Im semi-ready, I guess.  I like what you put "I too worry about things that are out of my control but all of these things are within your control." AND your right. I can control getting pregnant, staying on my pre op diet, and stop doing things behind my doctors back! YOUR RIGHT! Maybe cause I havent really spoke to anyone about my thoughts of worries but I am ready to change. I am going to practice SAFE sex. Getting on birth control and doing what I have to do. TODAY is my first day on pre op! And so far, I have been doing good! Your words have been a slap in the face in a good way ;] but made me realize its game time!

Thanks so much!

SophieNJ
on 4/4/13 8:29 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

What everyone else said is correct...i just want to add that the pre-op diet is not just to get you to lose some weight, it's to help shrink your liver, which makes it easier for the surgeon to do what he has to do inside of you.  Keep that in mind when you think you want to cheat on it.

I'm very happy you are here, and that you want to change your life for the better!!! Good luck!!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

Janette Rodriguez
on 4/4/13 8:37 am - San Antonio, TX

Thanks A Lot!

HilaryH8103
on 4/4/13 9:25 am - WA
After surgery you're going to be 100 times more likely to get pregnant once you start losing weight. You don't want to get pregnant 2 months after surgery & gain weight back, do you? To me that would be a disaster. I'm married & we've been using condoms & spermicide because I do not want anything to jeopardize my weight loss. Go read the forum "Pregnancy after weight loss surgery." You'll see tons of women who've gotten pregnant just weeks after going through weight loss surgery. It's very hard on your body & it's also not the best for the baby. Get on birth control now or something & use a 2nd form of protection as well.

What kind of illegal drugs were you using that would show up on a UA test? If they show up on a UA than 9 times out of 10 it's an illegal drug. Don't do that to your body ever again.

Do you have a good support system? Are you sure you're ready for this? You basically have to change your whole life around & the way your mind works. Do as much research as you can & start now.

My number one suggestion for you would be to start seeing a counselor, one that specializes in Bariatric surgery.

You've got to stop & think about what you're doing here. It's all nerves & excitement before the surgery but when you wake up in recovery & your stomach is very painful and you start throwing up for a few days in a row or even for the first month or two, are you going to be okay with the decision that you made? You can NOT take it back, you can't reverse the surgery & you must start following your doctors plan immediately. This is not a quick fix & when I hear you saying that you took diet pills that probably weren't okay, that tells me that maybe you were or are looking for a quick fix.
I'm only 31 years old myself and I think back to when I was 19 and I know that I would have not have been in the right mind frame to have gone through a serious surgery such as this one. I just want you to consider everything and please do tons & tons of research...

Best of Luck,
Hilary
Janette Rodriguez
on 4/4/13 10:50 am - San Antonio, TX
Thanks/:
melanieannd
on 4/4/13 10:47 am - TX
VSG on 06/13/12

You've gotten some excellent advice here! I don't have anything to add, but I am in San Antonio as well and you can feel free to message me on here if you need someone to talk to. :)

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views