Long time, no post! Almost 2 yrs post-op soon.. (x post to maint & pics)

INgirl
on 4/4/13 9:47 am

I'm still kicking!

Taking a self-imposed break from posting, partly due to a job that has me hopping for 10hrs a day, and partly as a head-clearing exercise.  I'll explain more at some point- likely on my 2yr anniversary post (April 11th is 2 years from my surgery, time really does fly!)  

Just wanted to reach out and say a quick Hi, tell folks that I do still occasionally lurk, and check in with some of my fav folks here and on the maint forum.   I'm still healthy, still learning, and finding what works and doesn't in this ever-challenging post WLS life. I am maintaining, with occasional ups & downs, as told by whether I can fit in my skinny (low range) or less skinny (higher range) jeans.. though the "range" is pretty small, a little extra and my jeans tell me fast! Me and the scale came to a mutual agreement (for my sanity) to take a small break from one another about a month ago. Next weigh in is on my anniversary. Still thinking about what I really want to say in that post..   

Things are very different after a couple years, in a much more challenging way. Don't kid yourself, the first year or so is as easy as it ever will be, both physically, and mentally/emotionally. You likely are as singularly focused on you, as you will ever be. Appreciate it, work it, and DO NOT SETTLE short of where you want to be.   

Till next time- a couple pics.. thank the gods for VS bras and good shapewear to control the floppy skin-bits (no plastics, would love to, but not in the cards just yet.) I'm going to be 40 soon, and am in better shape than I ever have been before. If anyone has any questions I'm always an open book, and don't candy-coat much..    So here you go, before @ 264 in Lane Bryant sz 24 jeans (tight, and we all know LB jeans are generous) and today in sz 4 Vera Wangs.. (vanity sizing! I don't normally fit in 4's, hello! I Don't care, they look good.)

[image]           

frisco
on 4/4/13 10:05 am

Hey Stranger......

Looks like and sounds like your kickin it really good !!!!

Looking forward to your 2 year post.......

It's a much different climate around here these days......

You look great!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

INgirl
on 4/4/13 10:23 am

Yep. Yep.

I have my ups & downs, and I'm most def doing it my own way these days.. part of it is finally trying to take the training wheels off. Happy so far that I've only scraped my knees and not landed flat on my face (yet.) Never say never! But, my jeans keep me honest, and the rest comes down to what will make me feel good over the long-haul vs feeling good in the instant. Though there's a time and place for that too.. just not too damn often.

I've hit a too-low point, where I looked spooky, and hit a too high point where my jeans were not flattering.. I'm finding middle ground here someplace between the two and working on accepting me and what it all entails, if I ever figure it out- I probably wouldn't be able to put it into words anyway!

mokee
on 4/4/13 10:08 am - OH

You look fabulous.  I hope I reach the success you have attained.

INgirl
on 4/4/13 10:55 am

Thank you. You can too, don't hope- know that you can, and make the needed decisions to work it well!

BREAZA
on 4/4/13 10:20 am
VSG on 04/24/13

You look great! Very reassuring to see your before and after pictures so thanks for posting. :) You stated "Things are very different after a couple years, in a much more challenging way." Could you elaborate a little on those challenges?

I'm getting sleeved with Dr. Aceves on 4/25/13 and still have certain concerns with what to expect afterwards. I'd like a more realistic outlook than a sugar-coated one. :)

INgirl
on 4/4/13 10:52 am

First Aceves is a great surgeon- he does a wonderful job cutting- the rest is all on you!

Early out- you are so restricted (generally) that the weight comes off, provided you make the necessary changes to your intake- whether you go ultra low carb or not, up to you.. but just by the reality of needing the protein, your carbs will fall on the low side.. unless you just say screw it and don't change a thing, then you may find you can really pack away the carbs/cals and you will prob loose a bit, but not down to where you likely want to be. Considering you are having surgery, chances are you are pretty committed to being all-in, right? 

The challenge comes down to a few things- your laser focus wanes a bit, you start incorporating more variety food-wise (this is post-goal, not during the thick of it.. I hope) and you start realizing that certain things just don't fill you up like they used to- but good old dense protein seems to be the touchstone- I still cannot eat more than 2-3oz chicken/beef.. The traps and pitfalls are letting your focus get too fuzzy.. can you have a treat once in a while?- of course. But, as a person so big that we needed surgery- we likely couldn't limit ourselves to "once in a while" so.. though we may look normal on the outside to all our friends (and they get used to the small-us eventually) we have to be really really self-aware around food, always.

When you are early out- and losing 5-10lbs a month, that is so much positive feedback that it keeps your resolve rock-solid around temptation. When you get to a weight where you call it done, and a year passes- there's no heady highs of seeing the changes we all NSV about, and you become more "normal" and then you are just like anyone else trying to maintain a healthy weight, just with a smaller stomach for real food..  but a body that wants to regain at a drop of a hat. So you are in reality, not like everyone else.. something to never forget.

So the point I'm trying to make is- make sure you learn a lot, make lasting and SUSTAINABLE lifestyle changes. Learn to cook healthy (whatever you consider healthy, and what you like- low carb, higher protein, higher fat, or lower cal.. just make it something you will KEEP on doing after you get to goal.) Read a ton, so you understand nutrition, so you intellectually understand why the S.A.D. really is **** and should be left in the dust.. Understanding that the foods that we got fat on, taste great- but do bad things to our bodies will help change your mind to more healthy foods if you take that first year to really apply it. Diet is the driver behind weight loss and long-term maintenance.. workouts are great, but things happen, injuries, time constraints, boredom- whatever.. but we never stop eating. Must make your food match your needs for life.

The challenge is fully mental, the physical side we sign up for when we go to a good surgeon- getting a tiny stomach, well- it's great, but only as good as what you do with it day in and day out. Hunger comes back for most, the glamour of melting away fades, then it's back to reality in a smaller body, that needs to be fed in the proper way to stay fit- and that does mean not always getting what you want, but getting what you need.. 

Sleeveless
on 4/4/13 4:40 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I really appreciate your insights here. I know the toughest part is still ahead of me and will continue for the rest of my life.

You look simply wonderful, and kudos to you for doing the hard work and keeping it off!

BREAZA
on 4/5/13 1:45 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you so much for your feedback and insight! I have been researching for the past year and am so ready to make this lifestyle change. I'm committed 150% and know that food won't be the same as it was before. I'm conscious of what I put in my mouth now and keep a daily journal as well as started working out. I'm up to jogging 2.11 miles. I wanted to get all these changes in place prior to the surgery so that I can get into the habit now versus later. I see the surgery as a tool not a magic wand that will make all my weight problems disappear. What you said about it being difficult later once you've reached goal totally makes sense. I agree, you' are "normal" in the eyes of others, but our battle with weight is continuous. I'll keep an eye out for any future posts of yours! :)

thinnersinner
on 4/4/13 10:24 am

I would have thought you had plastics on your tummy.  You look amazing.  I remember reading your posts last summer when I started this process and I appreciate all of the advice you put out on this site.  It helped me in my research on this surgery.  You are inspirational!

Most Active