seafood question

tia47
on 5/7/13 3:01 pm - cleve, OH

Hi there, 

Im curious how our sleeves handle seafood such as crab legs, scallops, lobster, clams etc??

Im not thete yet, only 4 weeks out tomorrow n still on purees/mushes. i enjoy seafood better than meats so im kind of preparing.  any help would b appreciated.

tia

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/7/13 3:10 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I eat lots of seafood - all that you have listed above. A crab meat (real!) salad with a little egg and onion and light mayo with a pickle...yumm!!!! I eat scallops a lot as well as shrimp and have had lobster a few times since surgery and of course fish all the time. Muscles, clams, oysters...all goes down nicely, is low in fat and has great quality protein. Go for it and I hope your sleeve likes it all! Mine loves seafood!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

tia47
on 5/7/13 4:17 pm - cleve, OH
  • oooohhh the crab salad sounds awesome!  im so glad to hear this.
  • thank u, 
  • tia
Calking
on 5/7/13 3:37 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Absolutely go for it and enjoy.  Actually my nutritionist described the mushy stage as anything that can be mashed with a fork.  During the mushy stage I was eating crab meat (claw meat) by Chicken of the sea.  Trader Joe's sells it for $9.49 for a one pound container which is actually cheaper than Walmart.  

I would buy a can and portion it out into 5 meals of a little more than 3 oz. each.  It worked out great.  I love claw meat to begin with and this was wonderful.  Also in the mushies stage was canned tuna.  I liked to blend it up with some Walden Farms Bacon Ranch dressing (0 calories) and it was fantastic.  I even put a touch of Walden Farms BBQ sauce for a little kick ... again at 0 calories.

The only thing I will caution you about is that your taste buds have somehow changed.  Pre op I enjoyed tilapia as it was a mild fish but somehow post op it has taken on a stronger fishy taste.  It is almost as if many items I eat post op have their flavors or tastes enhanced or strengthened.  So any of the seafood that was OK could taste stronger to you now.  Buy the smallest amounts possible and taste them before investing a lot of money in various seafoods.  This is true of pretty much all foods post op.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

tia47
on 5/7/13 4:21 pm - cleve, OH

I am so glad to hear this! My tastes have changed ive noticed in only 4 weeks. I cant imagine what other foods will not taste good.  i saw a few Waldon Farms items but no dressings/bbq sauce etc. Where do u buy these?

tia

Calking
on 5/7/13 6:33 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I actually buy most of my Walden Farms at Kroger.  I have seen them (not as good a variety) at Food Lion and Walmart.

You may have to get Walden Farms online if your local grocery store doesn't carry it.  There is a huge selection of products including both chocolate syrup and chocolate dipping sauce, caramel syrup and caramel dipping sauce, dressings, pancake syrup, mayo, chipotle mayo, marshmallow dipping sauce ... and more ... http://www.waldenfarms.com/

I think you can get many online at amazon.com ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias% 3Dgrocery&field-keywords=walden%20farms&sprefix=Walden+%2Cap s%2C366

I also noticed that if you go to their main website ... my first link at the top there is a store locator button.  Click on it and you can enter your zip code and a distance from that zip code as well.  This should locate something local for you.  

All of their products are 0 calorie.  I will have to say that you need to learn something about almost all diet foods if you haven't already done so.  For instance there is a Walden Farms Peanut Butter.  If you eat it expecting it to taste like the real thing you can be easily disappointed.  It doesn't and it couldn't.  Two tablespoons of real peanut butter with only the ingredients of peanuts and salt is about 190 calories and 16 grams of fat.  Walden Farms is - calories.  There isn't any way that you could really get it to taste like the real peanut butter.  What you need to do when you try new things is think to yourself.  Does it taste good on it's own.  Try not to compare it to what you think it should taste like ... just let the taste stand on it's own and decide if you like it as is.  I have found that some things are really good when you think about the flavor and mix it in with other flavors. 

By the way I spoke a lot about peanut butter.  Many on this forum talk about PB2 which is basically defatted peanut flour and very expensive.  I found a cheap alternative ... http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roasted-All-Natural-Peanut -Flour-32-oz-907-g/36231

PB2 is about $5 for a container the size of a normal peanut butter jar which I think hold about 6.5 oz.  The above deal is 2 pounds for $11 a much better deal.  If you are interested I can even find you a coupon for $5 or $10 off your first purchase.  Easy to find using Google and search for iherb.com coupon.  For a certain amount you get $5 off but if it is a higher amount you are buying you get $10 off.  

I love that Protein Plus Peanut Flour.  It mixes in nicely with protein shakes and gives a great peanut butter taste.  Also can add water or almond milk to it to make your own peanut butter spread.  Great product if you are a peanut butter fan as I am.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Julie H.
on 5/8/13 12:41 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 04/23/13

Thank you for this info on Walden Farms products.  I had never heard of them but I looked at their website and WOW, lots of cool products!  I am going to check my local WM this weekend for some of their stuff.  Again, thanks!  

Julie

What you eat in private shows in public.            HW: 245  SW: 233  GW: 120

Miss_T_CC95
on 5/7/13 10:33 pm - Pasadena, MD
VSG on 03/05/13

I am just over 2 months out and have had shrimp, crab and lobster with no issues.  I am not a clam or scallop girl, but I am sure that would do well too.  I am even into fish now, which was never a food I much cared for. When you get there enjoy! 

sleevegirl
on 5/7/13 11:22 pm - Austin, TX

I started all of that when I hit the solid food stage. Shrimp gave me a FIT until around six months. It just sat like a freaking rock. I LOVE shrimp and can down handle them just fine, but I drove myself crazy about it for a while.

Crab went down great, scallops needed a little more attention.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

11Dayzee
on 5/8/13 12:48 am - Sterling, VA
VSG on 04/11/13

I am on my last day of mushies and have ground up a crab cake and fish sticks, tuna and salmon and have enjoyed this phase of the process.  I usually mix in a teaspoon of mayonnaise and a teaspoon of capers and blend away.  I lived on fish before my surgery and it was what I craved after all those protein drinks.  Enjoy!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views