Catheter

angdenise
on 5/9/13 2:18 am - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
I just found out that we will have to haw a catheter in at surgery. Is this standard? How long did I have it in? My thinking is that if the requirement is to walk every 2 hours then I can get up to pee. I want to refuse he catheter but want to know what others experiences were?

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

Diana M.
on 5/9/13 2:21 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12

They will insert one during surgery.  I just asked my surgeon to make sure it was removed before I woke up so I wouldn't flip out, and he had no problem with that.  I never saw it.

Deckeriv
on 5/9/13 2:23 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Most surgeons don't require a catheter when doing a sleeve since the surgery takes less than an hour. It is possible they will put one in since you are having a revision which means your surgery will last longer and will be a little more complex.

Ask the surgeon to take it out before you wake up in recovery, that way you will never know you had it. The only downside would be if you can't pee in a few hours after surgery they may have to reinsert it.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

thinathart
on 5/9/13 2:45 am

My surgeon put in a foley cath during surgery and I got it out the next morning.  You are able to still walk with one in, they just hang part of it on a roller that has your IV with pain meds.   I specifically asked to not have one (bad experience) and he said he requires them to monitor how your kidneys respond during and after surgery.  It wasn't nearly as bad the second time.

danixbanani
on 5/9/13 3:01 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I was a band to sleeve revision and they seem to put us through the ringer more to make sure we end up ok.  I had an NG tube (goes down the nose and throat), a drain, and a catheter.  The catheter was the least of my troubles lol.  You really don't feel it and you're still able to walk with it.  Mine came out the day after surgery.  Painless!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Lisa1023
on 5/9/13 4:34 am
VSG on 03/05/13

omg, that was the worst part of the surgery.  and you cant TELL your surgeon what to do. you can try and ask them to remove it before you wake up, but like my surgeon, they have protocol...  i had to keep mine in for 12 hours after surgery.   The above poster said you dont feel it in, oh yes you do.  It gives you the sensation that you have to pee really bad, but of course you dont and you cant.... and when they pull it out, it hurts like a b tch.   but just for a second and its all over with.   i had the same discomfort when catheterized during each of my 3 children's deliveries. 

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

mapietras
on 5/9/13 8:15 am - MI

My surgeon told me they generally use a catheter if there have been former abdominal surgeries. I guess abdominal surgeries sometimes cause incontinence on the operating table. A surgical nurse generally sets the catheter. It doesn't hurt during insertion or withdrawal. I was told they were going to catheterize me too. I groaned. The actuality was it was inserted and withdrawn without my even being aware of it. The surgical staff performed it while I was asleep. Easy peasy.

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Sasny
on 5/9/13 11:50 am
VSG on 03/20/12
I had a catheter put in once I was under for the surgery and they took it out the next morning. Didn't feel it when it was in and hardly felt it being taken out. A complete non event. Good luck.

lil1inside
on 5/9/13 11:51 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Just when I thought I knew everything.  Thanks, its good to know, in case..

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

lunarose
on 5/9/13 2:16 pm - Newhall, CA

My surgeon didn't use a catheter with my surgery but for some reason after I receive anesthesia I can not pee its just a weird reaction I have. Anyway I always need want is called an in and out cath where they put the catheter in drain the bladder and pull it back out again no big deal they use numbing medicine on the cath itself.

Most Active