Needing encouragement

mamatothree
on 5/19/13 9:49 am - Charleston, SC
Hey everyone. I've fallen off the grid for a while, but I'm back. I had my surgery in Oct of 2011, and since I've lost about 95 lbs. I have about 5 more to go until I am at a good weight for me. However, every time I look in the mirror, I see all of this excess skin on my stomach and I really want it gone. I don't, however, want to have to undergo another surgery. I know that is unavoidable but I'd like to be able to be at my goal weight before I undergo the surgery. My motivation, however, has decreased significantly and I need some encouragement. I am struggling to find time to exercise and I have been having the desire lately to snack a lot. I used to have the mentality of "eat to live" and I seem to be switching back to my old mentality. I'm looking for words of encouragement to get me back on track. Please help.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lucy2e
on 5/19/13 10:03 am - Laurel, MD

One thing I'd like to remind you is that you will probably lose about 10 lbs of skin with the skin removal - so take that into account with your calculations.  Sounds to me like you may be closer than you think.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

DanielleP
on 5/19/13 10:14 am - Philadelphia, PA
VSG on 04/29/13

You are at a healthy weight and I agree that a lot of the excess weight you want to lose will come off with the skin. It sounds to me like you're a little depressed and that could sap your motivation. I understand not wanting another surgery, but it is very possible that getting the skin removed will be exactly what you'd need to motivate you to get back on track. Right now you're looking at it like you have to get motivated to lose weight, then lose weight, and then you can have the excess skin removed which will ultimately make you feel better looking in the mirror. But what about a different possibility: get the skin removed, lose some weight, feel better looking in the mirror, feel motivated to stay on track.

snowbaby
on 5/19/13 10:23 am - Durango, CO

I'm almost 3 years out and I can relate to the loss of motivation. I recently came back to OH.com after avoiding it for a while and ended up gaining 25 lbs. I think coming back to OH.com has actually been very motivating for me - I needed to get back to the basics in order to keep myself in line and start losing again. So in my opinion, you've done the right thing just by coming here and checking in. It helps me to remind myself that "I AM a WLS patient" - I have been given my life back because of this procedure. I do not want to back pedal any more than I already have. You have done fabulous - forget about how you look with the excess skin and instead focus on how fantastic life is now that you are no longer carrying around the extra weight! Think about the things you can do now vs. before VSG. It really does help me to stay on track when I think of those things - hopefully that will help you too.

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

mapietras
on 5/19/13 2:02 pm - MI

I was asking my husband the other day about surgery to remove excess skin in the stomach. He is an anesthesiologist and has seen a lot of surgeries over the course of his 37 year career. Anyway, he said it is mainly the omentum (spelling???) that is removed. I think that is the fatty layer under the skin along with excess skin. The abdomen muscle is not touched. I makes recovery so much easier. Is this true? What is the experience of others who have had this surgery? I'd like to know.

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Hislady
on 5/19/13 2:41 pm - Vancouver, WA

What your hubby is describing is a pannilectomy (sp) where just the skin is removed and for some that is all that is needed. A full tummy tuck is where they tighten the muscles also and gives a more polished look. So just depends on what you are looking for.

mapietras
on 5/19/13 3:02 pm - MI

Thanks for that explanation.

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Most Active